Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Unable to switch language

08 March 2019, 9:27

I'm trying to setup a Mahara 18.10 environment on Red Hat Fedora 7.6, and cannot switch language from English to French. The DB is Postgres 9.2.24 on the same machine.

The 18.10 French language pack is installed in the /maharadata/langpacks folder, and French is available as a language in the drop-down menu. Selecting it and saving the changes yields no change.

I've scrapped the database, relaunched the install, and the same incident occurs, and am familiar with the process as I can do it in a test VM I set up prior to trying to set up our test environment.

Any clues on what I'm doing wrong?

09 March 2019, 3:50

Forgot to mention in my initial post : the www user (no www-data in this case) is owner of the maharadata folder and its content, and the permissions are set at 775. 

09 March 2019, 8:14

I can switch to Spanish, or any other language, but French won't work. Can't think of something else to try at this point. 

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

11 March 2019, 16:59

Hello François,

Can you please download the French language pack again? It sounds like there might be something missing in the files.

Alternatively, you can use the CLI command to install the language pack. See the user manual.

Cheers

Kristina

12 March 2019, 4:01

Hello Kristina,

After deleting the database, the mahara htdocs folder and the dataroot folder, I was finally able to switch to French correctly without. This was very odd as only French wouldn't work, Spanish and Portuguese worked fine, for instance.

Thanks for the reply and have a great day!

François

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

14 March 2019, 11:04

Hi Francois,

Great that you could get it to work again. If you run into the problem again, try only deleting the language pack or using the CLI command to do it from the command-line.

Cheers

Kristina

6 results