Forums | Mahara Community
Mahara, Moodle integration using LTI.
04 September 2018, 1:09
To the best of my knowledge I have followed the documentation here - https://manual.mahara.org/en/18.04/external/externalapps.html#setup-in-moodle to use LTI to integrate into Mahara and Moodle. After selecting Mahara as an External tool for a course category in Moodle, and clicking the link, it returned a blank page.
Things that are not working:
1. The users created in Mahara are not able to login on Moodle.
2. The link created using LTI in Moodle Mahara intergation displayed a blank page - http://localhost/oltegapros/webservice/rest/server.php?wsfunction=module_lti_launch. I'm on localhost, so I'm presently not running on HTTPS, as both apps are on localhost, could that be the reason?
3. How do I import the created courses into Mahara?
Please i know this is as a result of knowledge gap as a newbie. Please help.
05 September 2018, 16:16
To answer your questions.
1. Users created in Mahara cannot log into Moodle because they were not created via LTI or updated to use LTI as authentication method and have a remote username set. If you want existing users in Mahara to also use LTI, the best is to take a look at the account settings for an LTI user to match the authentication method and then also to know what the format of the "Username for external authentication" is to set that up. When a user comes from Moodle, Mahara does need to keep that connection and thus needs that additional username (remoteuser) in order to distinguish it from existing users in Mahara that were not created via LTI.
2. You need https for LTI to work. If you are on test site, please use the config parameter "productionmode = false" as that displays error messages directly on screen making troubleshooting easier.
3. Courses cannot be imported via LTI into Mahara. You would either need to set up a web services connection or create a CSV file to upload to Mahara. For the latter, see the user manual.
22 September 2020, 1:00
resuming this topic I have much the same problem. Setting up an external tool in moodle with all the necessary info (i.e. having gone through the external app settings and LTI enabling etc in mahara settings) I still get a blank page (Safari), or an "Access denied - you are not authorized to view this page - error 403" message (Chrome). What slightly surprises me is that Chrome shows in the URL the string of the wwwroot of my mahara to which the /webservice/rest/server.php?wsfunction=module_lti_launch string was appended as per the manual, as if it was attempting to show the content of the server.php file instead of executing it. Is this normal?
I wonder what type of mistake have I done.
The way I try it is to use moodle as a teacher when accessing the external tool, while I only have an Admin account on Mahara. Nevertheless I am member of the institution I set up the LTI service. IN the Institution the authentication metods are 1)Web Services and 2)Internal as I don't have the privileges to set the SSO system (basically I am missing the moodle administrator privileges + administrators are neve keen on following everybody's requests....
I wonder if 1) the authentication methods set for the institution are not sufficient to login from moodle, or being so, if the priority of the method (web service first, internal second and as parental authority) is set appropriately.
I would greatly appreciate some help with this, so I can work out if to give up with the integration and ask students to login separately, or if it can still be implemented.
Many thanks to anybody who can help.
28 November 2020, 19:35
Part of this conversation now happened on a different thread. If you set 'internal' auth as parent to LTI, your admin should be able to log in. LTI tries to match on email as well and if it finds it with the wrong authentication method then it won't let you proceed.