Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Could Madara be used for multi tenancy?

Kehinde Adeoya's profile picture

27 August 2018, 8:11

I learnt about Mahara while searching for a solution that addresses LMS multi tenant. Though just reading what it offers, and from some online resources on this forum it seems to be pointing to that direction but not yet clear. 

I'll like to ask and expect your wiser instructive advise. Could Mahara be used for multi tenant LMS?  If yes, please point me to the resource to readup on or an how-to instruction to set it up.

Thanks. Good bless.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

29 August 2018, 8:51

Hello Kehinde,

Mahara is indeed multi-tenanted, and you can set up institutions at any point in time. Please see https://manual.mahara.org/en/18.04/administration/institutions.html for more information. Every institution can have different authentication methods and also connect to different LMSs.

If you use Moodle and connect to Mahara via MNet, you can only use the MNet connection in one institution. If you use LTI though, you can connect to multiple institutions in Mahara if you use different LTI keys.

Cheers

Kristina

01 September 2018, 14:51

Thank you very much, Kristina. I have setup many institutions on Mahara. Once more, thanks for this clarity. It is very detailed. Please could you help me with these questions as well?

My questions are:

1. How do I integrate multiple Moodle instances with a single Mahara app? What I want to achieve is to map each Moodle instances with Institutions created in Mahara. How do I achieve this? Though this was a question before thoroughly reading your answer - "If you use LTI though, you can connect to multiple institutions in Mahara if you use different LTI keys." Do you mean multiple Moodle institutions?

2. I have a scenario where I have a single instance of Moodle with multiple databases that represent each institution. Is it possible to use Mahara to control each database instance that represents the Moodle institutions from Mahara? What I mean by this is that if Mahara is connected to Moodle single instance, is it possible to switch to these databases based on the logged in user? The reason for this is that many instances of Moodle seem to be an overkill.

If these are possible, please kindly point me to the guide - video, docs, to achieve these.

Please help. God bless.

03 September 2018, 8:55

Hello Kehinde,

Does that mean you have one codebase but multiple databases for Moodle and also multiple URLs? If that is the case, wouldn't every institution thus have its own Moodle site? You can use either LTI or the wider web services to connect to Mahara and configure everything on both ends.

Or do you have one URL for your Moodle and multiple databases? If that is the case, then you'll need to do some additional custom coding to ensure that Mahara would connect to the correct database. I would assume that you already have some custom code in place for Moodle to handle selecting the correct database. That goes beyond the support that we can provide here in the forums.

Cheers

Kristina

03 September 2018, 14:59

You are definitely right. Your second paragraph describes exactly what I want to do. I know it'll involve digging into the core of Mahara, could I linked to the relevant doc where to make this chnanges? Like you suggested, I've made some modifications in Moodle.

Thanks, Kristina

04 September 2018, 8:38

Hi Kehinde,

The LTI SSO code is in /module/lti and the wider web services are in /auth/webservice You could also review what you've done in Moodle and see if you can do something similiar in Mahara when students log in.

All the best

Kristina

6 results