Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Issue - portno is not a member of peer

Al Young's profile picture

12 August 2018, 1:29

Hi All,

After testing an upgrade from 15.04 to 18.04 I've found an issue which is preventing us from fully adopting the new verison.

Navigating as an Internal user works fine but as we have it integrated with Moodle it appears that any user who is authenticated in this way is unable to view any page as instead they are greeted by an error:

[WAR] 71 (lib/peer.php:56) portno is not a member of Peer.
Call stack (most recent first):
  • Peer->__set("portno", "80") at /var/www/html/htdocs/lib/peer.php:49
  • Peer->populate(object(stdClass)) at /var/www/html/htdocs/lib/peer.php:92
  • Peer->findByWwwroot(" moodle site ") at /var/www/html/htdocs/api/xmlrpc/lib.php:1142
  • get_peer(" moodle site ") at /var/www/html/htdocs/lib/mahara.php:3689
  • profile_sideblock() at /var/www/html/htdocs/lib/web.php:832
  • smarty(array(size 2), array(size 2), array(size 0), array(size 2)) at /var/www/html/htdocs/index.php:67

I have looked at the database and within the 'host' table and the portno is defined as 80.

Masquerading as a user registered through MNET will present the error message on every page rather than content and users can't login through the MNET connection.

Has anyone experienced this issue before or know a way to resolve it?

Alec

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

13 August 2018, 18:55

Hi Al,

Did you check your MNet authentication settings on both Moodle and Mahara? Since you upgraded to 18.04, you may also have added an SSL certificate if you didn't already have one or moved the site to a new server and that would have required (for SSL for sure) the rotating of the keys.

I've never seen this error before, and it would help narrow things down if you checked your key settings in Mahara and Moodle and made sure that they are all correct and that the sites can communicate with each other.

If you changed to SSL on Mahara, you should rotate the key and enter it in Moodle. In Mahara, you'd do that under Administration -> Configure site -> Networking.

If you changed to SSL in Moodle, look up the key in Moodle under Site administration -> Networking -> and then the peer settings and double check that it is still the correct one and also in Mahara under Administration -> Institutions -> Settings -> click the "Manage" icon next to your institution -> Select the XML-RPC setting and check the key there.

Cheers

Kristina

13 August 2018, 20:04

Hi Kristina,

Appreciate the reply. 

I am able to generate a new key on mahara and have updated this on moodle,

When it comes to doing it the other way around I run into the same issue again, selecting the institution, clicking the settings cog, selecting the XML-RPC plugin and I am greeted with the same error message again.

[WAR] 22 (lib/peer.php:56) portno is not a member of Peer.

Alec

13 August 2018, 22:57

Hi All, just in case anyone runs into this issue as well as myself I managed to get this fixed.

The issue appeared from a failed database upgrade going from 15.04 to 18.04.

After it failed (due to a table being named 'time' instead of 'ctime'), I corrected and run again. This time it seemed to complete sucessfully.

The issue 'portno is not a member of peer' had me puzzled, after looking around I assumed it must have been something that failed on the upgrade so I looked at the host table (where portno is defined) and compared it to the install.php file on the mahara github (line 278)

github.com/MaharaProject/mahara/blob/18.04_STABLE/htdocs/lib/db/install.xml 

Turns out the portno column is meant to be removed upon update so the mahara  site was trying to use portno without, I'm assuming, the correct funtion in XMLRPC.

Alec

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

14 August 2018, 7:04

Hi Al,

Thanks for having given my suggestion a go and then persevered to find a solution when that didn't help. A failed upgrade can sometimes be tricky to pin down. Well done! Thank you for sharing your solution.

Cheers

Kristina

5 results