Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Getting grades from Moodle

Etienne Famery's profile picture

19 May 2018, 0:08

Hello,

We try to set a Mahoodle environment and i was wondering if it was possible to take grades and competencies from Moodle to be display in Mahara. Is it possible with a plug-in or we need to do it by our own?

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 May 2018, 18:06

Bonjour Etienne,

Your English is great! There is no built-in way (yet) to transfer grades or competencies from Moodle to Mahara. What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to display the titles of courses and the associated grades in a block in Mahara? Do you want to link the Moodle competencies to SmartEvidence? Or is it something different?

Cheers

Kristina

23 May 2018, 2:41

Hi,

Yes,it's what we are trying to do. We want blocks in Mahara to display grades and competencies achievements which come from Moodle for the students. It seems that we need to develop it then.

Do you have any indications for Moodle-Mahara developments to give me as i just start to look at Mahara system?

I'm also trying to do requests to the mahara database, but i can't find exemples in the files? Do you know where are these requests?

Thank you very much,

Etienne.

24 May 2018, 16:32

Hello Etienne,

The Mahara core team in Wellington is currently looking into the possibility of getting a list of courses and grades / completion status into a block on a Mahara page. We have not yet fully speced this from the technical perspective, but I assume that we would be using web services to push from Totara (still similar to Moodle in a lot of ways in the version we are looking at) to Mahara. We are not yet looking at pushing competencies or setting up Moodle competencies as SmartEvidence frameworks, but could look into that for you if you like.

All current web services functions and thus examples are available directly in the Mahara code base at htdocs/webservice/functions.

Cheers

Kristina

31 May 2018, 1:29

Hello, I appreciate your help.

I would be happy if you can help me with grades and competencies. If you have ideas about the way to do it.

I have one more question, i don't know if it's the right place to ask. If i modify Mahara (php , html, css code), how mahara's updates  will affect theses changes? Is there a particular way to make changes on Mahara. For exemple, it would be to add pages with informations, forms for the students, database requests etc.

Etienne.

07 June 2018, 9:00

Hello Etienne,

The project for looking into getting grades from Moodle into Mahara via web services has not yet been approved. So we do not yet have a solution for it readily available. It doesn't look like the project will go ahead for at least a few months.

If you want to customize Mahara, ideally don't do so in the core code unless you want to contribute your changes back to Mahara core and they are accepted. By using the local directory, e.g. for theme, language customizations, you can separate your changes nicely and they won't be overwritten by a core update. Please see https://wiki.mahara.org/wiki/Developer_Area/Local_customizations for more information.

If you want to build more extensive functionality that cannot be added in the local folder, you may want to look into writing a plugin that you can then activate in the extensions.

It also helps to manage your code in Git in order to see merge conflicts more easily if you do need to customize core code.

Cheers

Kristina

6 results