Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Using Smartevidence frameworks in Groups?

12 January 2018, 2:43

Hello everyone,

I will be trying out Mahara in a course that has about 20 students. There are two main goals : First of all Mahara would service as a platform where students can work in groups of three on their group assignment that will run throughout the semester. Second, they will have in individual reflection portfolio in which they reflect on the progress they make during the group assignment and their role as future educators in society. 

Because the group assignment is attached to credits and has different phases, I want to incorporate Smartevidence to the group pages, so that students can see whether of not their assignment meets the criteria that the teachers uphold. But it seems that it is not possible to connect a group collection to a Smartevidence framework. This seems pretty odd. Is there a reason for this? Or is Mahara not meant to be used the way that I am trying it out?

Thank you

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

15 January 2018, 10:40

Hello Melissa,

Group collections cannot use SmartEvidence (at the moment). The initial development phase had only made it available in user pages, institution and site pages (for copying purposes), but not for group portfolios as it was seen as an assessment / evaluation tool for people's individual portfolios.

That doesn't mean that it needs to stay that way in the future, and changes to SmartEvidence can be made. For Mahara 18.04, for example, all statuses can be displayed in the matrix. The more people use SmartEvidence, the more information we have what can or should be improved. If you'd like to provide funding for enhancing SmartEvidence, the changes can be made more quickly. ;-)

Cheers

Kristina

2 results