Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Mahara Panel at AAAEBL Annual Meeting in July?

Allie Davidson's profile picture

05 January 2018, 3:44

Happy New Year!

Just putting the feelers out to see if anyone would be interested in doing a Mahara panel presentation at the AAEEBL annual meeting in Vancouver in July?

Here is the CFP: https://cuportfolio.carleton.ca/group/view.php?id=3835. Deadline is January 22nd.

If there are a few interested folks, perhaps we could set up a virtual meeting sometime in the next two weeks to discuss/prepare a proposal. 

Louise Carr's profile picture

09 January 2018, 0:06

Hi Allie

I might be interested...what did you have in mind?  I am currently using Mahara in teacher and teaching assistant HE programmes, I also support colleagues to introduce Mahara for work/industrial experience on land-based vocational degrees.  

kind regards

Louise

09 January 2018, 8:50

Hi Louise,

I didn't have a particular focus in mind. Thought I'd get an idea of who is interested and what the common themes were from folks then we could decide on something as a group.

I work in teaching support services at Carleton University. I support instructors using Mahara in their teaching  and provide consultation on both ePortfolio technology and pedagogy. Seems like what you and I have in common is the support role with Mahara - perhaps we could focus in on this?

I think Kristina Hoeppner might be able to share some insight on proposing a panel because she has done a Mahara panel at AAEEBL before.

Louise Carr's profile picture

10 January 2018, 3:56

Hi Allie

Yes, a good idea to check with Kristina, and look at the supporting users aspect.  At the moment I am looking at barriers to using an e-portfolio and why some users 'get it' quickly and others really struggle.  Do you have the same issues?

Louise

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

10 January 2018, 8:20

Hello Allie and Louise,

Happy new year!

I've been on three panels at AAEEBL with Mahara community members. The most recent ones were:

Beth Gordon and I also did a joined presentation on "Supporting ePortfolio presentations face-to-face and online".

Our panels often included at least one remote person / group of people and we've always made it work.

It's always great to bring a number of institutions together for a panel to have many voices in it. It would be useful to have an online meeting to discuss the scope with the people interested as that is usually a bit better to finalize the brainstorming.

I'd love to be involved if you like.

Cheers

Kristina

Meg Goodine's profile picture

11 January 2018, 13:22

Hi Allie

Sure, we'd be happy to be involved. Let me know when you would like to get together online.

Cheers

Meg Goodine (Kwantlen Polytechnic University)

13 January 2018, 4:49

Great! How about an online meeting next week via Skype next week?

Given the different time zones we are all in, I'm thinking 3-4 EST would be best? I'm free T, W, Th, F during this time.

It also is probably easiest to coordinate this via direct email.  My email address is [email protected]. I have Kristina and Meg's email. Louise, if you can just send me your email, I'll send an email to the whole group to coordinate/confirm a time.

Allie

7 results