Forums | Mahara Community
Plugin Wish: Calendar
12 May 2017, 21:31
Just from a training in Germany we got this wish from participants:
Add a calendar feature in groups. Adding external calendars like Google Cal is not an option.
Here is a draft list of functionalities and features:
- Activate Calendar as function for a group
- Define who can add calendar entries: group admins only | each member of a group
- Add calendar entry: one time | repeating entry (daily, weekly, monthly, annually)
Title, description, start date, end date, location
Status: planned, confirmed, done
Connect with member of the group: this date is booked for...
Confirmation by added members
- Edit/delete entry
- Show entries in monthly, weekly views
- ical/ics export
- Import entries from excel: format dd/mm/yy and hh:mm
15 May 2017, 8:45
Thank you for the information of what a calendar functionality might look like. I created https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1690672 for this wishlist item.
I have a few questions:
- Should each group only have one calendar?
- Should individuals also be able to have their own calendar?
- What about ical import / sync rather than import from a spreadsheet?
- Should there be a reminder area somewhere about upcoming events?
16 May 2017, 0:58
I agree with Ralf and would give you some answers:
- I think one calendar per group is enough,
- Absolutely yes: With a calendar, the plan makes sense for me. A calendar allows the user to see clearly what are the next steps / tasks and has so a small project management in addition to the content work.
- ... ?
- That would be wonderful :-)
17 July 2017, 10:39
Angela from the University of Darmstadt had programmed a Calendar-Plugin in 2013 that was more or less inaccessible when gitorious closed. I have a copy of that though and I had worked a little on that code, though I most probably didn't fix all issues and usability can definitely be improved. The master-branch seems to work in the 17.04-release though.
You can find the code/plugin here:
Calendars so far are only user-based but it shouldn't be difficult to extend this to group-calendars. Plans are integrated in the calendar, though I remember that there was a dependency-problem in the database when you deleted a calendar that holds elements from a plan or vice versa, because they depended on each other and the events were pushed after the deleting actually takes place.
I someone gives this a try and finds some issues, I'd probably have a look but I can't promise how fast that'd be
Angela said she would be fine with this going into the mahara-core code, but I'm sure this would need a lot of code cleanup.
18 July 2017, 20:26
For Mahara, that is connected via MNET to Moodle (SSO from Moodle to Mahara):
Maybe it is worth thinking about, how calenderevents in mahara and moodle can be connected together in one calender?
(in additon but off topic: messagingsystem from moodle an mahara maybe can be also connected)