Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Forum and journal blocks on group homepage for non-members

Jochen K's profile picture

29 April 2017, 23:29

Greetings from Germany.
We are testing Mahara 16.10.3 and 17.04.0 for our Institution.
We have found a problem on a group startpage.
we creating a journal with some entries and a forum with some entries.
Putting a block "recent journal entries " and a block "recent forum posts" on the group startpage.
A non-member kann view the journal and access the journal-posts and can post comments.
The block for the forum-posts are not visible for non-members and not accessible.

Is this a bug or are we missing something.

Cheers
Jochen

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

01 May 2017, 13:27

Hello Jochen,

Is that a public group you are talking about? When I have an open group with a forum post in it, only group members see the "Latest forum posts" block on the group homepage.

Can you please give it a go on the demo site or provide more information on your group settings?

Thanks

Kristina

01 May 2017, 22:13

Hello Kristina,

i have sent you  information and accounts via e-mail to our demosite, because your demosite is down?

If we found the faults i will post here.

Regards

Jochen

03 May 2017, 7:50

I have tried the same on your demo-site.

Same effect. Journal Posts are accessible for non members.

Forum posts aren't

Regards

Jochen

04 May 2017, 15:35

Hello Jochen,

I think the difference between forum posts not shown on the group homepage and journal entries shown on the group homepage is due to the fact that journal entries are artefacts and forum posts aren't.

A journal entry is essentially like an image and thus when you add that to a page that someone else has access to, they can see it (caveat, the problem with the image in the group description that you uncovered https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1688165 ). A forum discussion is an interaction and seems to be treated differently esp. since you can access forum posts only when you are a member of the group.

Cheers

Kristina

David Bell's profile picture

04 May 2017, 18:20

Hi Kristina and Jochen, 

Are forum posts visible to you on this collection page?

https://kiwiconnexion.nz/view/view.php?id=992

And this home page of the same group

https://kiwiconnexion.nz/group/view.php?id=9

Thanks. 

04 May 2017, 19:27

Hi David,

Yes i can see the latest posts.

Regards

Jochen

David Bell's profile picture

04 May 2017, 21:41

Thanks Jochen. That means the 'recent forum posts' are displaying on the home page as well as in group collections to someone not registered on our site.

A few months back I think I had a similar problem to what you describe, and I couldn't get some rss feeds to display other forum posts as live links. The 'recent forums block' seems to work fine in all places. That's the work around for us.

05 May 2017, 8:54

Hello David,

We can see the forum posts because your group is a public one (like the community group on mahara.org here) and that allows us to view pages, collections and forums without needing to be logged in.

Cheers

Kristina

9 results