Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Image issue :(

Lisa Donaldson's profile picture

14 November 2016, 22:12

Hi folks,

It may be something I'm missing but I could really use your help!

To conserve space in Mahara, our students are storing images in Google Drive. We want them to be able display these images in their pages, ideally in text box (which could contain a reflection on said artefact), by just using the image icon on the text box toolbar and pasting in the URL. A broken image symbol appears when we try this. The manuals all indicate this should be straightforward, does anyone see the problem?

We are using 16.04. And images are displaying fine if we use the Google Apps block but would prefer to keep it in a Text block. Thank you, thank you!

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

15 November 2016, 9:02

Hello Lisa,

When you create a shareable link for an image in Google Drive / Photos, the URL is not an actual image URL ending in .png or .jpg for example. I suspect that this is the problem  because TinyMCE doesn't know how to convert the Google URL to a proper image URL. My best guess is that we would need a filter that can convert the URL.

Cheers

Kristina

15 November 2016, 22:10

Thanks Kristina...yes, that seems to be the problem. 

Our tech consultant found a workaround yesterday evening but it will be too much for our students to manage I think!

The user needs to change the URL so that it starts with:
http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=

Then they need to add the ID to the end of the URL, in this case the ID is:
0B1aCYU27Jcv2ckZ0UGJ1Z2hhNW8

Our solution for now is to use the Google Apps block to display images but not being able to display an image URL in the Text box is a real shame. Being able to combine the artefact and reflection in the same space would be important.

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

16 November 2016, 14:23

Hello Lisa,

Thank you for sharing your work-around. Yes, that's definitely a wee too much for normal users. Scripting that would be better. Let me know if you want a hand with that.

Cheers

Kristina

17 November 2016, 21:48

Thanks Kristina! Any direction on how to script that would be fantastic!

Thanks so much,

Lisa

20 November 2016, 14:49

Hello Lisa,

We'd need to investigate this further. I created a wishlist item so we don't lose track of it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1643258

Cheers

Kristina

6 results