Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Embed calendar other than Google

Norman Mewes's profile picture

14 November 2016, 7:09

Hi,

I'd like to embed a calendar in a view. Google's seems to be the only calendar working out of the box, but for personal data security reasons this is not an option. I would like to use the calendar of my owncloud/nextcloud instead, which is able to export calendar data by CalDAV URL. Unfortunately I can't find a way to embed it. Do I need a plugin for that purpose? Or is it just a trick I was missing?

Cheers

Norman

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

15 November 2016, 9:04

Hello Norman,

Thanks for your question. If your calendar software is able to produce an iframe embed code, you can allow that in Mahara and will be able to see your calendar. I'm not aware of any other calendar integration at this point.

Cheers

Kristina

Tobias Zeuch's profile picture

28 November 2016, 4:23

Hi Norman,

I have an owncloud system myself and being a standardized protocol, CalDAV makes way more sense than the google calendar that binds you to a single provider, even if nearly everyone uses google nowadays.

I tried to put together a small blocktype plugin that fetches data from a CalDAV server and displays it in a JacaScript-based calendar. I'd appreciate if you would give it a try and tell me if it works for you:

https://mahara.org/view/view.php?id=133408

Cheers
Tobias

28 November 2016, 11:00

Hey Tobias,

thanx for sharing that plugin. Seems a good idea to me to give it a try. But I'm on a hosted mahara and cannot install plugins myself. I'll hand it over to my hoster and report how we go.

Cheers

Norman

Patric Lougheed's profile picture

28 November 2016, 11:40

Hi Tobias,

I installed your plug-in on my dev instance with debug on and all went well without any issues. I connected to my Owncloud instance and it all works very well.

2016-11-27 14_38_54-Admin User (adminguy) - Folioz Beta.jpg

Nicely done!

29 November 2016, 9:36

Hi Norman,

great, I'm awaiting your feedback.

Thanks Patric for testing the plugin :)

Cheers
Tobias

08 December 2016, 12:25

Hi Norman,

did your hoster succeed in installing the plugin? In the meantime I have uploaded the code to github. The repository is linked from the wiki plugin page (or here), in case he feels more comfortable installing it from there. I also added some error handling for problems with the CalDAV-server, like wrong credentials.

Cheers
Tobias

13 December 2016, 21:06

Hey Tobias,

your plugin brought my attempts far beyond the results I had before: I can see the calendar of my nextcloud (a fork of owncloud) now - great!

There is only a minor quirk I cannot fix: The dates show up slightly different from the way I wrote them in the cloud's calendar. Time displays in anglo-saxon format (a or p, which is am or pm, I suggest). And in front of a whole-day-event it displays present time (well, in fact it seems to be not my timezone because it's constantly one hour late). Is it possible to change that?

Thanks very much for your nice piece of work and your help!

Cheers

Norman

Paul Raper's profile picture

17 October 2021, 6:58

Hi Tobias,

I am trying to install your Calendar Plugin in the latest version of Mahara, but with no success.

When I try to link to my NextCloud instance, for some reason there is nothing being brought across.

Error: <!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
  <meta charset="utf-8">
  <meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="ie=edge">
  <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, shrink-to-fit=no">
  <title>404 Not Found</title>
  <link rel="stylesheet" href="/error_docs/styles.css">
</head>
<body>
<div class="page">
  <div class="main">
    <h1>Server Error</h1>
    <div class="error-code">404</div>
    <h2>Page Not Found</h2>
    <p class="lead">This page either doesn't exist, or it moved somewhere else.</p>
    <hr/>
    <p>That's what you can do</p>
    <div class="help-actions">
      <a href="javascript:location.reload();">Reload Page</a>
      <a href="javascript:history.back();">Back to Previous Page</a>
      <a href="/">Home Page</a>
    </div>
  </div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Any thoughts?

17 October 2021, 9:45

Hi Paul,

I'm glad to read that you want to use the plugin.

Is that the complete page you see when you try to configure a calendar? From what I remember, this probably means that there is some critical error in the plugin code (that is not executed until you configure some calendar).

I have to set up a test installation or upgrade my old installation to the newest version to find out, what might be causing this. If you have access to the error log (e.g. /var/log/apache2/error.log if you are using apache) you can also try to find an error related to the plugin.

Best regards
Tobias

36 results