Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Text Content Not Displaying

Luke Broad's profile picture

09 October 2016, 5:20

Hi There, 

I've setup a Mahara installation for my personal use on my Raspberry Pi  at home. I have it working such that I can access it anywhere and it's great!

The problem I have is that the text I type into blocks, whether a generic 'text' block or the 'about me' block, simply doesn't display. If I edit the content of the blocks the text can be seen there in the editor however. 

Could anyone point me in the direction of a solution?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

10 October 2016, 8:34

Hi Luke,

Great to read that your Raspberry Pi is going strong. :-)

As for the text: Did you type regular text or did you use HTML in it? TinyMCE strips out certain HTML code because HTMLpurifier runs over it to make sure the content entered is safe.

Cheers

Kristina

13 October 2016, 8:09

Hi, 

Thank you for replying!

I'm not using HTML to add text. I'm dropping the generic 'Text Box' onto a page and then typing directly into the large field underneath title and all of the formatting controls. No matter what I do the text does not display once I have hit save. When I edit the Text Box, the text appears there for me to edit; so the text is being saved somewhere, it's just not displaying on the page for some reason. It's most frustrating!

Any suggestions as to what I should try next to get the text to display?

Thanks again, 

13 October 2016, 9:17

Hi Luke,

That is curious. It could be an incompatibility of TinyMCE on Raspberrian. Can you please heck your error log if there is anything in there? Also, use Firebug or another browser developer tool and monitor the errors there when you work in the text box and see if anything pops up there.

Cheers

Kristina

17 October 2016, 8:28

Hi

Sorry to sound a little silly but could you tell me where I can find the error log to check it?

Is there anyway that I can turn TinyMCE off entirely; then we can tell if that's causing the text not displaying issue or not!

So so close!

Thanks, 

17 October 2016, 12:33

Hi Luke,

No worries. :-)

You can turn off TinyMCE for your own account on the "Settings" page at /account/index.php and disable the HTML editor. If you want to turn it off entirely, you can do so under Administration -> Configure site -> Site options -> General.

As for the error log, it's generally in /var/log/apache2 unless you've put it somewhere else. You define the location in the mahara.conf file that goes into /etc/apache2/sites-available/mahara.conf

Cheers

Kristina

18 October 2016, 12:05

Hi

I've tried turning TinyMCE off by disabling the HTML editor and the problem persists. I think this means that we can rule out TinyMCE as the cause of the issue?

I've pulled the error log for the installation and nothing immediately screams at me (but I don't really know what I'm looking for!). Is there anyway that I could send a copy of the log to you directly to see if you can find the (probably glaringly obvious) issue?

Many thanks, 

19 October 2016, 8:29

Hi Luke,

You can send your log to [email protected] and we can take a quick look. No promises though as we don't have a Pi set up and don't know if it's the operating system.

Also, which theme are you using and did you make any customizations to the theme or your codebase?

Cheers

Kristina

24 October 2016, 10:09

Hi, 

Just closing the loop on the forum as well as via email. 

The problem seemed to have been the result of using an outdated version of Mahara (1.4). Since updating to Mahara 16.10 the problem has resolved. Text content now displays as it should. 

Thank you once again for your help. 

25 October 2016, 7:20

Hi Luke,

Oh wow. Good spotting. Yes, Mahara 1.4 is ancient and unsupported. Good that you upgraded to 16.10 and all works now.

Cheers

Kristina

10 results