Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
String "Dashboard"

Jason Dong's profile picture

07 September 2016, 20:39

All,

I need to replace the string "Dashboard" with "My Place". Following the advices in Developer Area/Language strings, I found "Dashboard" in account.php, admin.php,mahara.php and view.php respectively. I changed the files and saved them in /local/lang/en.utf8 directory. For example, here is the updated file for view.php

<?php
//This file lives under /var/www/mahara/local/lang/en.utf8/mahara.php

defined('INTERNAL') || die();

$string['dashboardviewtitle']     = 'My Place page';
$string['templatedashboard']      = 'My place template';
// View types
$string['dashboard'] = 'My Place';

But it looks like I can only change part of the "Dashboard" (and "dashbord") strings. Attached is the screenshot after my files changing. Please help me on this.

Best Regards

Jason

change-dashboard.jpg

Aaron Wells's profile picture

07 September 2016, 22:18

In  Mahara 15.10 we started cacheing all the nav menus in the database. That's why it's still showing the old value there.

In the upcoming 16.10 release there's a "clear caches" utility to make it easy to clear that cache. In earlier releases, you can trigger a clearing of the nav menu caches by going to "Administration -> Configure Site" and clicking the "Update site options" button. (It'll clear the nav menu caches even if you haven't actually changed any settings.)

It also looks like you might be using a custom theme. In that case, it's possible that the theme designer may have written the English word "Dashboard" into some of the page templates instead of using a Mahara lang string tag.

Cheers,

Aaron

Jason Dong's profile picture

08 September 2016, 1:53

Hi,Aaron

Yes, I go to  "Administration -> Configure Site" and click the "Update site options" button,the captioned problem solved.

More people will benefit from your messsage if it could be added to Developer Area/Language strings  of Mahara Wiki

Thank you very much!

Jason

A post by Account deleted was deleted

Aaron Wells's profile picture

12 September 2016, 14:46

(Heh, whoops, I forgot I was masquerading as a different user there as part of investigating reported spam comments. Sorry Farzaneh!)

Hi Jason,

Good idea, I'll add it to the wiki. The cacheing of language strings is a fairly recent addition to Mahara, so it's not something I took into account when I was writing that page.

Cheers,

Aaron

5 results