Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Softaculous install

Ash Norriss's profile picture

25 August 2016, 10:01

We have a VPS with WHM/Cpanel and a have setup an account to serve Mahara. I realise then may equate to a shared account, which isn't supported. However, the VPS has Softaculous installed so I figured it should be a 'one click' setup. The install fails with 'Installation failed', no other info. 

SoI tried setting it up manually and had better success. But it still fails. I receive this message on the first core module installation of 16.04.2.  

Failed to install (check logs for xmldb errors)
Call stack (most recent first):
  • install_from_xmldb_file("/home/maharaarts/public_html/lib/db/install.xml") at/home/maharaarts/public_html/lib/upgrade.php:338
  • upgrade_core(object(stdClass)) at /home/maharaarts/public_html/admin/upgrade.json.php:87

The MySQL database seems connected and is populated by tables, and the data directory seems ok too with a folder full of folders, but no files. So access to the db and folder seem ok. But the installer halts upon upgrading/installing the core components. I can dig up some log files but thought I'd start with the initial error as reported by the app.

Has anyone got this running on WHM/Cpanel? I found some help via troubleshooting page for shared hosting but had similar results. 

Aaron Wells's profile picture

25 August 2016, 12:14

Hi Ash,

Huh, "Failed to install (check logs for xmldb errors)" is not an error I've seen before! Looking at the source code, it seems this error is printed if there's a SQL error while Mahara's trying to create the initial database structures. It's preceeded by a call to log_debug() to print more details. So, if you look in your Apache error logs you may see more detail about what specifically failed.

I'd also recommend reporting your problem to Softaculous, since you're using their installer. https://www.softaculous.com/support/

Cheers,

Aaron

Ash Norriss's profile picture

25 August 2016, 13:09

Thanks for the speedy reply Aaron, Softaculous just return 'Failed to update' or something similar. The "Failed to install (check logs for xmldb errors)" message was actually a manual installation. I gave up on Softaculous pretty quick. 

I'm considering a bitnami instance on Google Cloud. My only concern is importing data from the client's existing Mahara server. 

05 September 2016, 16:50

Hi,

I am from Softaculous team.

Can you please open a support ticket with us and we will check this for you :
www.softaculous.com/support
4 results