Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Problem with configuration Shibboleth authentication

28 June 2016, 19:51

hello

I installed Mahara and my next step is to install shibboleth authentication. 
When I fill in the shibboleth attributes and then click on 'save' it shows 'processing...' and nothing saves and keeps 'processing...'. 
If I try to save with default data(just do nothing and click on save) I get the same issue 'processing...'
I reinstalled mahara and shibboleth plugin but no avail. I searched in google also no result. Maybe I do something wrong? Please help me if you know the resolving.
kind regards

Robert Lyon's profile picture

01 July 2016, 8:12

Hi Rustam,

The shibboleth plugin is quite old and not compatible with newer versions of Mahara.

I would suggest using the SAML plugin to talk to the IdP as that is more robust and is actively maintained. It should be capable to talk to a Shibboleth authentication system.

Cheers

Robert

Niklas Frost's profile picture

08 February 2017, 2:45

Hi! What is status today when it comes to use the Shibboleth plugin in Mahara?!

We have 15.10 but will uppgrade to 16.10. Do any of those to work properly with the Shibboleth plugin?!

Another solution?!

Best Regards, Niklas

Robert Lyon's profile picture

08 February 2017, 15:57

Hi Niklas

The shibboleth plugin, to my knowledge, is not maintained and I believe it doesn't work with newer versions of Mahara.

However, you should be able to use the Mahara SAML plugin to interact with shibboleth Identity Providers.

I've been able to do this successfully for a site on Mahara 16.04 in conjunction with SimpleSamlPHP

Give that a go and if you need more help let me know and I'll try and remember all the bits involved and settings needed

Cheers

Robert

05 July 2017, 1:04

Hi Ryan! We are having a go at SimpleSamlPHP and Mahara 16.10.  Did You have anything in Your solution that could be a "guide":   config views,  tips and solutions etc?

Would be greatful for any tip or advice!

It need to work against:

https://idpv3.lu.se/idp/profile/SAML2/Redirect/SSO;jsessionid=1xoq98hj3isfydcsdd9ld0z8q?execution=e1s1

Best Regards

Niklas Frost

Lund University, Sweden

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

21 February 2017, 8:49

Hello Niklas,

To add to Robert's reply: Mahara 16.10 has SAML built-in and when you activate it, it'll tell you if you still need to install some extensions on your server. The configuration of SAML and new IdPs is now done in the Mahara admin area.

Cheers

Kristina

02 March 2017, 2:11

Hi! Thx for swift answers, all of You!

We are at the moment on the 15.04.   Is there a guide for how to do it on Mahara of that version?!

Would You recommend an upgrade first as a better way of action?!

Best Regards, Niklas

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

02 March 2017, 11:26

Hello Niklas,

I'd upgrade first. Mahara 15.04 is only supported until October this year. Please see https://wiki.mahara.org/wiki/SupportedVersions

And we did change how SAML is installed in Mahara 16.10. So you'd need to revamp things twice if you first get everything to work in 15.04.

Cheers

Kristina

02 March 2017, 22:23

Thank you! Then we will do exactly that!

Cheers Nicke

05 July 2017, 1:10

Hi Kristina! Any new guides etc regarding the SAML-process for Mahara 16.10?!

Best regards

Niklas Frost

11 results