Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Importing Moodle users into Mahara

Rick Johns's profile picture

07 June 2016, 7:57

Hi, is there a way of importing users from Moodle to Mahara before they have connected via MNET / XML-RPC ?

We have students joining our Moodle at random times, sometimes in groups and sometimes individually and it would be great to be able to click a button and have Mahara pull in all the Moodle users, setting up new accounts for those not yet created in Mahara.

Reason is to be able to pre-assign them into Mahara groups ready for when classes start. Otherwise (I presume) you have to wait for them to connect then add them to a group.

I have read a couple of threads from 2010 / 2012 on this and it seems the only way is to export your Moodle grade book, mess it about a bit and upload as a CSV to Mahara.

Is this still the case, or has the intervening 4-6 years brought forth any new technologies?

Thanks a lot

Rick

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

07 June 2016, 8:43

Hello Rick,

MNet does not allow for a sync of user data. Thus, the CSV file is still your friend unless you have LDAP / Active Directory integration besides using MNet. With LDAP / AD you can sync your users into Mahara at intervals.

Cheers

Kristina

Rick Johns's profile picture

07 June 2016, 15:56

Kristina, thank you for your prompt response. I will get IT to look into it. Rick

Niklas Frost's profile picture

17 March 2017, 22:38

Hi Kristina! Problem solved! My bad...
Somehow I had unchecked the "We auto-create users"  alternative in the MAHARA
XML-RPC configuration

So...

do I need to create the same users account in both Moodle and in Mahara to make Mahoodle to work?

I thought if a create a user in Moodle he would easily sso to Mahara even if he never been there before?!

In my test sites in works if I create the same user  in both Moodle and in Mahara, but , as said above not if user x not have an account in Mahara.

BUT..If i connect them to an AD/LDAP then a sync would work?!

Best Regards, Nicke

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

19 March 2017, 14:17

Hello Niklas,

Great that you found this!

Cheers

Kristina

5 results