Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Copy Group pages to personal portfolio

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

16 March 2016, 9:27

Hello,

Using Mahara 15.10 and have a load of group pages that have been created by members. Now I want them to be able to copy their page back into their own portfolio.

I would have started the other way - portfolio and share with group - but there seemed to be a bug in our last version of mahara (1.8 maybe) which prevented this.

So need to COPY GROUP PAGE INTO PERSONAL PORTFOLIO

Any tips gratefully recv'd

Phil Tubman

Lancaster University

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

30 March 2016, 21:27

Hello Phil,

You can share the pages in question with the group (generally that's already the case) and then simply allow copying and your group members can make their personal copies of them. :-)

See http://manual.mahara.org/en/15.10/portfolio/share.html#advanced-options where to find the "Allow copying". It's pretty much the same for group pages.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

02 April 2016, 1:03

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for replying. As it happens, we are doing this the 'other' way. For some reason, in our instance of Mahara (1.9 I think) we could not share our personal pages with the group.

This is resolved with the latest update, but where we are now is that we have a lot of 'group' pages actually owned by the group, which we would like individuals to copy into their personal portfolios. I do not seem to be able to do this, even though 'copying' is switched on for the group.

Can you advise?

Phil

03 April 2016, 3:32

Hello Phil,

You can only "push" pages/collections to users' portfolio, only the first time they join the group. You can't push them afterwards.

This feature has been discussed several times already. The reason this feature is not present in Mahara is that user' portfolio is a private place, kind of 'secret garden' and any change in there must be the result of the user's actions.

So the only way for pushing group pages to members' personal portfolio is to ask them to copy them.

Believe me : if they really need them, they will copy them. Just provide clear information to your users about the procedure and it works… … let say 90% of the time :-)

Regards,

-dajan

03 April 2016, 3:56

Hello Phil,

I wrote too quickly. You can't push pages from a group, even initially. You can can push pages to users' portfolio when the user is created on the platform and, with recent versions of Mahara, you can push pages to groups when they are created (Administration -> Configure Site --> Share).

You can also push pages when users first time join an institution (Administration -> institutions  --> Share).
But you can't do this (yet) from groups

-dajan

04 April 2016, 17:12

Hello Phil,

Sorry if I was a bit ambigious in my post. I did mean your way of copying a group page into a user account. to make it a bit clearer here are the steps for your verification:

1. Group page that group members shall be able to copy is shared with the group (or individual members of the group)
  2. Under "Advanced options" on the "Edit access" screen, the option is set to "Allow copying".
  3. Save that page.
  4. If you are a member of the group yourself, you can test the copying easily by going to the group page that you want to copy and click the "Copy" button to the right of the page title. The page is copied into your portfolio.

If that doesn't work and you had a site upgraded from Mahara 1.9 where the copying didn't work, there might be a bit more afoot.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

04 April 2016, 20:49

Thanks Kristina, That has worked well.

Phil

06 April 2016, 15:30

Thanks for letting me know, Phil. Great that it worked. :-)

Cheers

Kristina

8 results