Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Group Submissions

25 November 2015, 10:39

Hello,   I apologize if this has been asked and I couldn't find it.  

We are running 15.04 revision of Mahara.  I have created the groups with controlled membership, allow submissions,  and allow archiving of submissions.  

When I add members that do not have admin access, they cannot see the documents that have been submitted. So I needed to make all members have admin access.  

This is dangerous because the inexperienced member will hit release of the document by accident.  Even though I have explained multiple times what the release button does.

Does anyone have suggestions to this problem?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

02 December 2015, 3:15

Hello Melinda,

Do you mean that teachers who are to review the portfolios are admins now or are you making all students admins?

The idea behind the submissions is that students submitting work to a group do not see each other's work, but only the tutor or admin can see them.

If there is more than one admin or tutor in the group, there is no safeguard to prevent anybody with these permissions from releasing a portfolio. It sounds like you'd like to have a feature like Scheduled bulk feedback.

Cheers

Kristina

05 February 2016, 6:18

Hello Kristina,

Sorry for the delayed response.  

We use this for our Promotion & Tenure (P&T) process.

The candidate submits their P&T Portfolio into a group.  The members of the P&T Board need to review the candidate's P&T Portfolio separately.  The board as a whole writes a recommendation.

So I set up a group for each P&T candidate.  The members of the group are the members of the board.  So they need to see the portfolio.  "Member "  access doesn't give them the ability to view the portfolio.  That is why I have given the members "admin" access which I don't like to do because there is no safeguard from preventing them to release the portfolio.

The Scheduled bulk feedback doesn't appear to help with this unless I'm missing something.

Thank you,

Melinda

05 February 2016, 8:07

Hello Melinda,

Thank you for outlining the submission process a bit more. The scheduled bulk feedback would indeed not be a solution for you.

The solution that I see is to make all board members "tutors" in the group (not admins) and then make a change to your Mahara codebase to prevent people with the tutor role from releasing portfolios. They would still be able to provide feedback on it, but wouldn't see the "Release portfolio" button.

Cheers

Kristina

06 February 2016, 4:13

Hi Kristina,

Thank you for your help.  

Best,

Melinda Barnsley

06 February 2016, 9:53

Hi Kristina,

How do I give a user "Tutor" access?  I'v been looking in the 15.04 user guide and cannot find the answer.

Thank you,

Melinda

06 February 2016, 10:03

Hi Kristina (again),

I see where the change roles is performed but I don't have the option of 'Tutor'.  I only have member and admin.

Thank you,

Melinda

08 February 2016, 13:56

Hello Melinda,

When you edit your group settings, you have the option "Roles" and can set it to include tutors. You'll only see that though if you yourself have staff or admin permissions on your Mahara site as only those two can create groups with tutors. See the user manual here.

Cheers

Kristina

09 February 2016, 3:27

Hi Kristina,

Thank you for your help.  

Melinda

10 February 2016, 4:14

Hi Kristina (again)

I set my members to tutors.  I receive "access denied" error message when I try to view the submitted P&T portfolios as a Tutor.   Am I missing another switch that needs to be set for Tutors to view the portfolios?

Thank you,

Melinda

15 results