Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
changing ownership of a page

kalli benetos's profile picture

23 October 2015, 2:57

I have pages that were created under a group and would like to change the ownership of these pages so they belong to another group (not shared with it) which can then choose when and how to share it. Is there any way for an administrator of the institution and the groups in question to do this? Copying the page copies it to my personal portfolio and then I'm again stuck as to how to hand ownership over to the other group.

cheers,

Kalli

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

23 October 2015, 14:22

Hello Kalli,

When you are in the group page area of the new group and click the "Copy" button as a person who can create pages in the group (generally the admin at minimum), the page will be created in the group. You would need to ensure that the original page is copyable to the new group.

Since you already have the page though in your personal file area, you can make it copyable to the new group, go to the group's page area (as admin or user who can add and edit pages in that group) and copy the page.

You shouldn't use the "Copy" button that is directly on the page (if you have Mahara 15.04) because that'll always put it into your own portfolio area. Instead, you should use the button "Copy a page" when you are on the group's page tab.

Cheers

Kristina

27 October 2015, 2:33

Thank you.

This takes care of most of my needs and with some forethought will do.

However, forums, blogs and other shared artefacts are not "copied" only the blocs are.

My needs behind this is that I would like to have a group of 'tutors' (teachers) create pages with a collection collaboratively within a group that only become visible to ordinary members (students) on a certain date.

I thought that by creating them within one group and then copying them to the group that students are members of would be a good workaround, but any forums or blogs set up will continue to belong to the original group and won't be copied.

Thanks again,

Kalli

27 October 2015, 21:25

Hello Kalli,

There are restrictions around forum posts: They can't be copied at the moment and you'd only be able to see posts from a different group if you are a member of the group.

Journals can be copied if you change the settings in the block itself. In Mahara 15.10 we also have journals on the group level.

You should be able to do what you want though by creating the page in the group and immediately taking away the sharing options for the group and only share it with the group's administrators / tutors by searching for the group and then only adding the "Admins" instead of "Everyone". If you want to automate the release more, you can also select "Everyone" and add a start date.

Cheers

Kristina

27 October 2015, 22:46

Excellent. Thank you.

This is what I had tried in the beginning but couldn't find the additional sharing options.

I also notice that this works on the group level, but if the page is added to a collection, it takes on the permissions of the collection, not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm starting to enjoy this setting up of an entire project-based curriculum on Mahara.

again, thank you

Kalli

03 November 2015, 2:40

Hello Kalli,

Please let us know more how you get on setting up your curriculum. The next Mahara newsletter will be published at the beginning of January and the call for articles is ongoing. :-)

Currently, any page added to a collection takes on the collection permissions. We are looking into being more flexible in that area. It's a rather complex undertaking.

Cheers

Kristina

6 results