Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahoodle users get "access denied" error on files / content after upgrade to v15.04

Remy Olasoji's profile picture

12 September 2015, 2:02

Hi,

We upgraded from Mahara v1.9 to v15.04 last week and at first everything seem to be find.  However, we've now discovered users are unable to modify or use their own content.  Even as an administrator, I'm unable to access or edit my own content.  Every time I try, I get the following error:

Access denied

You do not have access to view this page.             

Please help!

Regards,

Remy

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

15 September 2015, 0:19

Hi Remy,

I think I either edited the config.php file to point to the correct location /maharadata or copied the entire contents of the folders with all the content to the  location that mahara was now pointing at.

Essentially the issue is that there is no content in the folders where mahara is currently looking for it.

Hope this helps.

Paul

15 September 2015, 1:14

Thanks Paul.  At least I can eliminate that as a problem.  I've checked and I think the config file is definitely pointing to the correct data folder.

Regards,

Remy

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

16 September 2015, 8:34

Hello Remy,

Can you please provide some more information, for example:

1. Can you in general log into your Mahara account when coming from Moodle?
  2. Are both public keys on Moodle and Mahara still valid?
  3. Did you change to a SSL protocol at some point for one or both sites after your ugprade that might have impacted the public key(s)?
  4. What do you mean by "modify or use their own content"? Is it not there, is a new account set up for them?

Thanks

Kristina

16 September 2015, 19:26

Hello Kristina,

Here are the answers:

1) Yes I can.  We can also log in directly. The problem seem to affect all users i.e. authenticated via Mahoodle XMLRPC and internally.

2) Yes.  Valid until Saturday, 26 September 2015 and we can SSO from Moodle.

3) No.

4) From Content >> Files, if a user click on any content / artefacts they've added before the upgrade, they get the access denied error.  Artefacts (images / videos / audios) added to pages are also not displayed for the user.  This seem to be a universal problem (tested 6 accounts, including admin's and all are affected).  I don't think a new account is set up for them but I've been thinking it may be useful to check the database and see if there's a link between a current user and their previous artefact.  Any heads up on tables to check / where to start from?

I've also read the post here https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=2467&offset=0 - which said something about broken cron but I'm not sure how that may break links to user content.  The post was also in 2010 but I guess I need to rule that out as the source of the problem and I'm unsure how to so will also appreciate tips on ruling this out.

Thanks,

Remy

23 September 2015, 16:53

Hello Remy,

Thank you for the additional information. I don't think it's an MNet problem, but rather a permissions problem with the files in the data root directory. They probably had their owner changed. They should be readable to www-data (on Linux). I'd look there.

Since you can log in via Moodle and no duplicate accounts are created, MNet isn't the issue.

Cheers

Kristina

23 September 2015, 20:29

Hi Kristina,

Thanks for your response and you are right - it is not MNet issue.  I found out (with help from Catalyst IT - Europe) it was because I didn't upgrade on the dataroot folder from previous installation; creating a new dataroot folder instead.

So this was a human error, resolved by merging the current and previous dataroot folders.

Regards,

Remy

24 September 2015, 8:49

Hello Remy,

Great that my colleagues in the UK could resolve your problem. Sometimes, we really need to look at what's on the server.

Cheers

Kristina

8 results