Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Where to find text on file listing page?

MarionMacDonald's profile picture

11 June 2015, 1:29

Hi, following a request from a user, I am considering changing the text below on the page that lists a user's files.

Upload your images, documents or other files for inclusion in pages. You can select multiple files to upload them at once. Drag and drop the icons to move files between folders.

I figure it should be straightforward but can't for the life of me find where it is located.

Regards

Marion

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

15 June 2015, 7:48

Hello Marion,

The string is in a language file. In a terminal (at least on Linux), you can search for it easily the following way when you are in your Mahara directory:

grep -r "Drag and drop the icons" htdocs

You'll get as result that you can find the string in htdocs/artefact/file/lang/en.utf8/artefact.file.php

(Any other unique text from that paragraph would do as well.) The text changed in Mahara 1.10.

Ideally, don't change the string in the above file, but create a local language file so that your string isn't changed when you update Mahara. You can find information on how to do that on the wiki.

Cheers

Kristina

MarionMacDonald's profile picture

15 June 2015, 21:26

Thanks for that Kristina.

To be honest, I just wanted to check out the precise wording on all screens where students upload files and follow the procedure this particular group of students are being asked to follow.

My gut feeling is that the real issue is that they are not following instructions given so the solution would be to give more training.

Regards

Marion

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

16 June 2015, 8:29

Hello Marion,

Your gut may be correct. :-) I see it quite a bit that users do not read text that is on the screen even if it is not an entire paragraph. Sometimes it seems to be invisible. But when you try to draw attention to it, it distracts from the actual other things on the screen. We haven't found the best solution yet.

Cheers

Kristina

4 results