Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
using mahara views in more than one collection

03 June 2015, 20:49

I've got a question to the community: Can anybody help me to solve my problem in Mahara? I want to use one mahara view in different Mahara collections, but I can’t. When I use it in one collection, it isn’t visible for other using in collections anymore.

Stefanie Berger's profile picture

03 June 2015, 22:59

Dear Peter,

you just have to copy your site before.

Stefanie

08 June 2015, 21:01

Thanks for your answer!

That's what I do now, but if I want to change something, I have to change it in all the copied views again - and that's not really a good solution for me.

Peter

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

15 June 2015, 8:00

Hello Peter,

Unfortunately, that's the only possibility at the moment. Allowing a Mahara page to be in multiple collections is not a trivial change with the current infrastructure of pages and collections. If you (and others) would like to contribute to making the change, we'd be able to make the change faster. ;-)

One idea that came up in a Mahara Hui workshop in April in Auckland was to maybe not have static collections (so treat pages like files and collections like folders) but more dynamic ones like playlists. Thus, a collection may be formed based on tags and then all pages that have the identifying tag will be part of that collection.

The tricky things also in the above scenario are:

• permissions (do you give access to the entire collection or just a page?)
  • locking of pages and collections (do you lock just one page or still the entire collection - can they be separated?)

Cheers

Kristina

16 June 2015, 20:22

Hello Kristina,

thank you for your answer! For me and my institution it would be great to have such a possibiliy. We use group-views and collections so that all of us have got the permission to edit.

Have a nice day!

Peter

Emilie Lenel's profile picture

22 July 2015, 3:09

Hi Kristina

Just found this topic on the forum

We also often have questions about having a view in more that a collection.

If "dynamic collections" (like playlist) is considered as improvement request in Mahara roadmap, i vote for it :-)

But i understand that it could generate those tricky thinks about permissions and page/collection locking...

Cheers

Emilie

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

22 July 2015, 11:27

Hi Emilie,

Thank you for your feedback. We parked working on this a bit due to the huge change that Bootstrap is bringing and the many things around it that need to get done for the release. Hope to be picking this up again for the next release in some form or at least a step towards having it work better.

Cheers

Kristina

7 results