Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Backup/restore

Melvin Romero's profile picture

30 May 2015, 7:15

Hi, 

We are using Mahara 1.10.2 and I noticed that there is no possible way of restoring data loss via the interface. By that I mean, we are using Mahara for an institution with a potential usage by 40 000 users. If a mishap like some data loss occurs, is there a way to restore it via the Mahara admin interface? 

Is there any plan to create some kind of plugin or a core function for this useful feature?

Thanks,

Melvin

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

15 June 2015, 8:17

Hello Melvin,

We do not have any concrete plans of implementing a backup/restore functionality in the admin interface at the moment. If you want to restore a deleted user, you find some instructions on the wiki at https://wiki.mahara.org/wiki/System_Administrator%27s_Guide/Restoring_a_deleted_user

So far the path is to go via the a server backup and then get the data back in. We have an instance with over 100,000 users and have had the request probably only about 10 times in the last 5 years.

If you want to look into developing that functionality, please go ahead. It would be great to have something more convenient for the case when you may need it.

Cheers

Kristina

Melvin Romero's profile picture

16 June 2015, 1:53

Hi Kristina,

Thank you for your reply! We'll look for a solution on our side.

Regards,

Melvin

24 July 2015, 7:33

Hi Kristina,

is there some kind of trash for the pages ? I try to find it in the interface but I found nothing.

Thanks

Steve

24 July 2015, 15:02

Hello Steve,

We do not have a trash for pages yet. Anything that you have put onto a page and that lives within Mahara such as files, journal entries, resume etc. will still be available.

If you want to implement a trash or fund the feature that would be great. :-)

Cheers

Kristina

30 July 2015, 23:36

Hi Kristina,

are you saying that I will be able to retreive the information in the database because it's not actually deleted in the database ?

Thanks

Steve

01 August 2015, 4:27

Hello Steve,

To my knowledge, the page is deleted entirely, i.e. its title, description and access permissions. However, if you put any artefacts onto the page that are actually stored as artefacts, e.g. files, resume information, journal entries, plans, notes, then they are still available through the "Content" tab. So I suspect that a trash would need to keep the page and flag it as "deleted" but not actually remove it until it is deleted finally.

Cheers

Kristina

7 results