Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Mahara and Open Badges Current State

Kevin Rickis's profile picture

05 March 2015, 2:54

Hi,

We have a customer who is interested in Open Badges and I'm looking to implement the simplest system I can so that badges can be awarded and displayed in Mahara.

The state of play as I understand it is that Mahara can display badges stored in the Mozilla Backpack and that there is a plugin to access Open Badge Factory function.

My question I guess is this: Does anyone know if there is a Mahara only solution (Factory, Backpack & Display) in the works? 

The customer has a requirement that the data be held in the UK so 3rd party solutions tend to be out and I would like to avoid adding a Moodle install into the mix of what we already have.

Cheers Kev Smile

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

05 March 2015, 20:57

Hello Kevin,

There is no standalone Mahara solution yet I'm afraid. We are using the displayer and Open Badge Factory plugins on some of our installations as that is the best option to my knowledge. The plugins as well as Open Badge Factory were developed by Discendum http://www.discendum.com/ . I suggest you contact them and find out if they are working on a self-hosted version.

Cheers

Kristina

06 March 2015, 1:50

Thank you Kristina I will look into the Open Badge Factory plugin.

Cheers

Kevin

05 March 2015, 21:05

Hello Kev

In my opinion and experience the best way to engage with Open Badges on Mahara, if you don't have a Moodle to issue the badges) is to install the OBF plugin for Mahara.

With this plugin you can access your OBF account directly from Mahara an manage the badges (create new ones, issue them, manage them). The installation of the plugin is NOT straightforward but it works.

Also from Discendum Oy, you have an OpenBadge displayer plugin that gives users the ability to display their badges from the Mozilla Backback.

Regards,

-dajan

06 March 2015, 1:52

Thank you dajan I'll have a play with he plugin and see where I get.

Cheers

Kevin

5 results