Support /
Mahara Roles

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

05 December 2014, 8:54

Hi,

Fisrt, part of a conversation with Kristina Hoeppner:

ANDRÉ: 04 December 2014, 8:37 AM

[...] I am in search of computer role definition in Mahara. Also , do you know if there is documentation on the development of new roles? We are familiar with the roles in the " Moodle " way . Thank you!

KRISTINA: 04 December 2014, 3:39 PM

[...] What do you mean with "in search of computer role definition in Mahara"? I'm afraid I don't know what you are after with that. In contrast to Moodle, Mahara does not have roles made up of capabilities that you can allow or deny, but the roles are pretty much hard-coded. If you wanted a system like in Moodle then that would need to be built. I am not aware of there being documentation of how to create new roles because nobody attempted that yet (at least for core). We have 4 different major roles: - user - institution / site staff - institution admin - site admin A developer might have some more ideas where to look / how to create a new role. For that, please ask your question in the developer forum at https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/view.php?id=48 I can't promise a satisfactory / easy / quick answer, but at least people will know that this is of interest.

Cheers,

Kristina

ANDRÉ: now

What I look for is the permissions associated with each role. The roles that I counted:

• Site Administrator
  • Site Staff
  • Institution Administrator
  • Institution Member
  • Group Administrator
  • Group Tutor (Evaluation Group)
  • Group Member
  • User

For each type of user, I would like to know what they could or could not do (role permission).  Too few word in Mahara documentation about this...

Does anyone have this information ?  Thanks!

André

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

08 December 2014, 9:08

Hello André,

The information is available in the user manual, but spread out over several pages and not necessarily so easy to find as I mention it in the specific contexts and those are not unique roles so can also depend on the context. That's definitely something where we can improve on.

If someone wants to do an overview that we can include in the user manual, go right ahead. :-) Otherwise, I'll put it onto my ToDo list to get something up.

Cheers

Kristina

2 results