Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
rubrics for judging electronic portfolios?

Tim Molnar's profile picture

28 November 2014, 12:28

Hi all,

A colleague of mine asked this question of me in regards to using Mahara as part of the presentation of an adjudicated (pass/fail) e-portfolio (mahara) at the Masters level in a school of public policy.

"Are there rubrics for competency-based portfolio self-assessment and faculty validation-assessment that might be adapted for our purposes (rigor and relevance)?"

I think he wants to know if there is a rubric for judging the structure perhaps completeness of a portfolio in terms of meeting competencies outlined, not perhaps the content. i.e. what makes a good ePort. Of course I would think that is entirely dependent on the outcomes decided upon.

Or perhaps he is asking about the process of assessment using the ePort.

Anyway, hope that makes sense

Comments welcome

thanks

Don Presant's profile picture

28 November 2014, 13:46

Hi Tim:

He might want to check out the  AAC&U VALUE rubrics from the US:

https://www.aacu.org/value/rubrics

VALUE = "Valid Assessment of Learning in Undergraduate Education"

28 November 2014, 13:53

Thanks Don.

I will take a look and also pass this on.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

30 November 2014, 17:40

Hi Tim,

There is no also a rubric plugin available (on Github, screenshot) that you might want to take a look at in order to set up a rubric. I asked the plugin developer if he has some instructions on how to install it and will share them once I have them.

Cheers

Kristina

01 December 2014, 4:45

thanks Kristina
we use blackboard at our university
and one of our IT persons did suggest
one could just fire up the rubric tool
in BB and use that for record keeping
I will look at the links you noted
again thanks both of you for your help
best
tim
Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

04 December 2014, 21:36

Hello Tim,

If you want to keep any assessment data within your LMS, it might be best to use the LMS tools for that. One trick that people use who cannot use the Mahara assignment submission plugin because they either don't have Moodle or because they can't / want to install a plugin, is to create a secret URL of the portfolio and then paste that into a regular LMS assignment. And then you can apply any of your grading methods and the lecturer accesses the portfolio via the link.

Another possibility, esp. if you don't want to deal with secret URLs is that that students share their page with the faculty and then put the link into the assignment like above. That way, they can be ensured that only their faculty have access to their portfolio.

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 December 2014, 6:31

Hi Tim

Check out 'Rubrics for Assessment - EdTechTeacher' - http://edtechteacher.org/assessment/

In particular see https://www2.uwstout.edu/content/profdev/rubrics/eportfoliorubric.html 

Cheers

Phil

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 December 2014, 17:19

The Value rubrics are excellent but intended more as a feedback tool for students than for grading. However, they adapt easily to a graded mark. For each row, I gave column 1 a potential 4 marks, column 2 a potential 3 marks, column 3 a potential 2 marks and column 4 a potential one. If you give this to markers as an Excel sheet, you can have a pre-set cumulative tally for each row as well as a final tally, with a conversion to a % beside it. Easy.

03 December 2014, 8:25

good stuff.

and for my teacher candidates as well.

thanks

tim

03 December 2014, 8:26

Thanks Phil and Gillian.

good stuff.

10 results