Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Read-only text in textbox artefacts

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

18 October 2014, 2:06

Hi there,

I would like to create a group page where some parts of the page in 'edit page' mode is read only. 

The page would essentially be a table, where there are parts that they can fill in and I want the questions in the table to not be editable. Is this possible?

Thanks.

18 October 2014, 7:36

Hello

No Mahara doesn't do this.

But I am a bit puzzled with your question. Are really aware of what Mahara is designed for? What eP are and for what reason we use them?

I don't say you are not but I am a bit surprised reading your question.

By the way, if I had  to solve your problem I would maybe consider the use of some poling services on the web and embed it into a page on Mahara. You could start with Google docs which provides some polling features that let you build online questionnaires.

You could also have a look at the booklet plugin for Mahara (see the wiki about third party plugins). Booklet let you design forms with labels and tools such as text boxes, radio buttons, check boxes,...

Hope this helps a bit

Regards
-dajan
anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

21 October 2014, 0:54

Hi Dajan,

Thanks for your swift reply.

I think I should probably have given a bit more context. We would like students to use Mahara for their ePs and we want to use Mahara as an assessment platform without having to implement Moodle. So essentially, we want to create a course, add the students to it, and create a form template which they can fill in and submit.

We would like to create a competency checklist, but I have exhausted my resources and haven't found a way to do that yet. The 'plans' and 'tasks' function is essentially what I would like but it cannot be used in the group pages, and they aren't editable in the page. So after a lot of research, the option to use a textbox artefact was the backup plan. Have I been missing something?

I have not tried booklet plugin but from your description it sounds like something I've been looking for, so thank you for bringing that to my attention. 

Thanks again

June

21 October 2014, 9:10

Hello

Booklet is a thir-party plugin developed by a French educators. He is very reactive and keen to receive feedbacks and request for new features and improvement.

Happy discovering.

dajan

PS. make a backup of your server before you install any third-party sodtware.
Aaron Wells's profile picture

21 October 2014, 15:13

Unfortunately, you are correct, there's not any support for partially-locked pages at the moment. For what it's worth, the usual workflow for assessment in Mahara (without Moodle) is like this:

1. Tick the "allow submissions" box for a group.

2. In the group (or in a teacher's account) you create "template pages", i.e. pages that are set to allow copying. These can't be partially locked like you want, but you can put in things like a text box that says "Your content goes here"

3. Then the student makes a copy of the template page, edits it with their own content, and submits it to the group.

4. The teacher can then view the submitted pages and place feedback on them.

The process is described in the user manual here: http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.9/portfolio/feedback.html#submit-page

Cheers,

Aaron

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

04 November 2014, 15:49

June's request makes a lot of sense to me. After our users (K-12) receive their copies of various collections, it would be nice if periodically, the content of some notes could be changed globally to display links to exemplars, a current video, a embedded form or survey to collect input etc. for example

Thanks

6 results