Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
View access for pages shared with a public group

Shen Zhang's profile picture

26 September 2014, 12:13

Hi

We are looking at the option of using a "Publicly viewable" group to make the shared pages to this group publicly available. However, the shared page list is only viewable to group members, despite turning the "Publicly viewable group" setting on.

At this stage, this setting allows people who are not logged in to view the group  forums. However, it does not allow guests to view the pages shared to the group. At a very least, in my opinion, people shouldn't need to be a member to view the shared pages.

I would like to know other people's view on this function.

Kind regards,
Shen
Dirk Meyer's profile picture

03 October 2014, 21:47

Makes sense to me. However, a user sharing into a public group may not be aware of the fact that it is public.

Aaron Wells's profile picture

07 October 2014, 17:37

It would kind of go against the privacy model of Mahara, which is that a Page is only visible to the people it's shared with. Example: If I share a page with you, you don't then get the permission to share it on to other users or the public. Likewise, if I share a page with a group, the group doesn't get to share it on to other users either.

If users want their pages to be visible to the public, they can just share them with "Public".

That said, it does seem like there's kind of an unmet use-case for making automatic lists of multiple users' pages, for public consumption...

Cheers,

Aaron

3 results