Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Sharing tags to be discovered and discover others

Don Presant's profile picture

25 August 2014, 3:31

HI:

I'm working with a research university who is evaluating ways of developing researcher portfolios (perhaps a bit like Drupal Open Scholar).

One of the things they'd like to have is a way for faculty to "describe and share their research and tag it with key terms".
(Apparently another part of the university is evaluating a Wordpress solution which can do something like this)

I've always been a bit frustrated that Mahara tags are only for the learner's private use.

Is there a way to create another class of tags that could be used for discovery of others' content and interests? Tags for pages and artefacts? Including Profile pages? Maybe even automatically provide matches? Maybe a block on the page that would link to a hit list and the reverse: find people via self-described keywords (perhaps a combo of structured and free text...)

I think this would be great for building learning community, especially in multi-institutional settings

Is this something that Elastic Search or Sphinx could be adapted for?

I'm interested in learning what other people think about this. It's just my idea at the moment - I can't find it as an existing feature request.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

31 August 2014, 14:52

Hello Don,

When you have access to a person's page / artefacts that are tagged, you can already search for those tags. And using the fulltext search (Elasticsearch), you can find those more easily than just on the page "Shared with me" because you are also searching within forum posts etc.

Currently, there is no central tag cloud for all the tags that you have access to, but that feature could be developed as well as tag clouds for groups (showing tags for pages / content created within the group as well as shared with the group) and official tags so that people can use the same tags to make content more discoverable etc.

If that research university would want to look into developing / funding (part of) that that would be great.

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

08 October 2014, 16:54

This would be a much appreciated feature for Gaia University!

3 results