Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Install Mahara

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

01 June 2014, 5:19

Hi
I am trying to install Mahara on my System,  but  i have some problems. 
My Operative System is Windows 8 and i have Php 5 and MySql 5.
On the 1st step,  Mahara recognizes the components.  In fact, i arrive on the page where there is th button "Install Mahara".

But,  after i press "Install Mahara",  the process fails!

This is the message on first component,  "core "

Failed to install (check logs for xmldb errors)

Call stack (most recent first):
  • install_from_xmldb_file("C:\Program Files\Apache\Apache24\htdocs\MAHARA-ePo...") at C:\Program Files\Apache\Apache24\htdocs\MAHARA-ePortfolio\lib\upgrade.php:291
  • upgrade_core(object(stdClass)) at C:\Program Files\Apache\Apache24\htdocs\MAHARA-ePortfolio\admin\upgrade.json.php:79

Can you help me please ?

Thank you very much
by Matteo

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 June 2014, 0:52

Hi
i have tried to follow the instructions on the section "Troubleshooting"  on the web-document "System Administrator's Guide/Installing Mahara/Installing Mahara in Wampserver".   I have tried to replace the field "columns" with  "1columns" ,  but now the problems are on the last step of the installation.   Below, the result that appears, when the system wants to install the component-plugin "lastcoredata"

Failed to get a recordset: mysqli error: [1054: Unknown column 'columns' in 'where clause'] in adodb_throw(SELECT id FROM "view_layout_columns" WHERE "columns" = 3 AND "widths" = '33,33,33' , ) Command was: SELECT id FROM "view_layout_columns" WHERE "columns" = ? AND "widths" = ? and values was (3,33,33,33) 

(maybe, i suppose this because, there are many parametrics query
in file  "htdocs\lib\view.php"  and other files, and they want the field "columns").

Now, i try to install Mahara on Linux environment.

Thanks
Bye

Matteo

02 June 2014, 3:06

Hello,

I am feeling not qualified to answer WAMP or MAMP questions, but my advise is always the same for years: use a real unix package and install it within a virtual machine if you are on Windows.

Use commercial (e.g. VMWare) or onpensource (Virtual Box) virtual machines solution and install Ubuntu or Mandriva or other unix solution.

Changing something in the core code is challenging because you have to do this everywhere (a grep command could be then useful) and you have to be sure that this change is not impacting the software features.

Regards,

-dajan

Aaron Wells's profile picture

03 June 2014, 13:29

Hi Matteo,

You are correct. If you change the name of one of the database fields from "columns" to "1columns", this will cause many problems because the PHP code expects the field to be called "columns".

If you can get hold of a Linux server to run Mahara on, I recommend that. While apparently many people are able to run Mahara with some degree of success on Windows, the core dev team doesn't actively test it on that platform. And if you're picking a Linux platform, the one that we test it the most on is Debian/Ubuntu.

Cheers,

Aaron

4 results