Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
I have an easy one!

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

23 May 2014, 3:41

Hi Folks,

I know for certain this will be easily answered and I'm missing some basic setting somewhere.

I've never used Mahara or Linux until last week.

Despite the pain of having no experience with Linux, I managed to install Mahara 1.9 on Debian.....( I'm slowly becoming a Linux fan over the past week)

It works fine locally but I'm unable to access Eportfolio from another machine.

Do I need to edit a file somewhere to make it accessible?

When I'm local using iceweasel, I simply type the host name and I login to the site.

When I type in the IP address from a remote machine I get ("It works!" but no content has been added yet) and when I type the hostname "oops cannot find the site"

Thanks a bunch folks

Cheers

Aaron Wells's profile picture

27 May 2014, 18:42

Hi Clint,

Welcome aboard!

Getting the hostname of yoru webserver recognized by other machines requires you to have DNS set up for it (or put the hostname in the /etc/hosts file on every client machine, but that's usually not the right answer unless it's an internal website on a very small network).

Seeing different content when you access the website from the same machine, vs from other machines... that's kind of a strange one. Probably something to do with your Apache config. Possibly if you have multiple virtual hosts set up, and the one with your Mahara is identified as 127.0.0.1?

These particular problems are actually Apache and networking issues, rather than Mahara issues. (That is, if you dropped some other PHP script in your web root instead of Mahara, or even if you dropped in a static HTML file, you'd be experiencing these same problems.) So you'll probably be able to find better help on a general Linux help forum.

Cheers,

Aaron

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

29 May 2014, 1:37

Thanks....All fixed

3 results