Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahara .zip download file is .gz version?

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 April 2014, 22:36

I tried installing Mahara earlier. I'm using Plesk Panel and so need the .zip file as the other formats aren't recognised by the control panel and won't get extracted. 'The plesk error message reads 'file not an archive'

The problem is that the .zip version of Mahara once downloaded from launchpad turns out to be .gz and won't work with Plesk.

02 April 2014, 23:39

Dear Edward,

I don't know about Plex Panel, but what about downloading the gz file on your desktop uncompact the file and re-zip it before sending it to your Plesk Panel?

-dajan

Aaron Wells's profile picture

03 April 2014, 13:26

Hi Edward,

The first thing I should mention, is that we're about to release Mahara 1.8.2 later on today. So you might want to wait for that before upgrading. Smile

Anyway, I think I see what you mean. If I click on the download link for Mahara 1.8.1 in Zip format ( https://launchpad.net/mahara/1.8/1.8.1/+download/mahara-1.8.1.zip ), Firefox tells me I'm about to download a gzip archive.

The actual file downloaded, however, is still a zip file. I tested and verified that it works with the "unzip" utility and not the "gunzip" utility. It looks like this is a problem with how Launchpad is storing the mimetypes for uploaded zip files. Looking back through older releases, I see that the download for 1.7.0 is recognized by Firefox as a zip file, while the download for 1.7.1 is seen as a gzip file. So this must have started sometime last year between those two releases.

I'll probably file a bug report with Launchpad, and maybe see if I can correct this by re-uploading the files. In the meantime, if Plesk will let you download the file yourself and then upload it, try that. Otherwise, if you have to feed Plesk a URL to get the file from, here's a copy of the Mahara 1.8.1 zip uploaded to my mahara.org account: https://mahara.org/artefact/file/download.php?file=366040&view=81194

Cheers,

Aaron

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

05 April 2014, 0:10

Thanks Aaron. The 1.8.2zip was a zip so problem solved.

4 results