Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Question re: Columns

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 March 2014, 20:23

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is anyway to organise the columns in a page horizontally? I would like to make 1 column, that is then followed by 2 columns, like this:

[--------[Column 1]--------]

[-------------------------------]

[Column 2] - [Column 3]

[--------------] - [-------------]

any help on whether this is workable or not would be appreciated.

Thanks.

20 March 2014, 21:13

Hello Ken,

From Mahara 1.8 you can design your page layout more freely than before. You can divide your page in rows, and each row can have a different number of columns.

Have a look in the manual under 4.2.3 - Edit layout (http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.8/portfolio/page_editor.html#edit-layout).

-dajan

Account deleted

21 March 2014, 15:07

Hi dajan,

Thanks but it seems that the uni is using Mahara 1.7.

Any way to do this with the older version?

Ken

21 March 2014, 18:20

Hello

No, unfortunately this feature is available only from 1.8 onward.

The only solution is to upgrade to 1.8, or waiting for 1.9 and then upgrade.

Sorry

Regards.

dajan
Aaron Wells's profile picture

25 March 2014, 10:05

For some kind of content, you may be able to sorta simulate a multi-row layout using TinyMCE tables:

Step 1: Create a page with a single-column layout.

Step 2: Put a single Text block into that column.

Step 3: Using Mahara's TinyMCE text editor, click the "table" button (which is located above the "Font Size" menu).

Step 4: Place everything you want, inside different cells in that table. Use the "Merge table cells" button (which is over by the copy/paste buttons) to make different numbers of columns on different rows.

Here's an example, where I've created a table where the top row has 1 column and the second row has two columns. I've also placed a border around the cells to make this more visible.

This row is a single column
1st column 2nd column

But this approach is limited because it only works if you want to post content that can be placed into a Text block. You'll need your school to upgrade to 1.8 if you want the full flexibility of multi-row layouts with different columns in each row.

Cheers,

Aaron

Account deleted

25 March 2014, 20:13

Thanks for the help,

Unfortunately I wanted to include more than just text.

i'll just have to wait for the update.

Cheers!

Aaron Wells's profile picture

26 March 2014, 12:09

To be clear, the TinyMCE table approach isn't completely limited to text. With a little effort you can also use it for images, and iframe embeds (like YouTube videos).

But that's it. For other types of Mahara blocks, you'll need to upgrade to 1.8 and get its multi-row layout functionality.

Cheers,

Aaron

7 results