Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
A new name for "Site pages"

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

09 March 2014, 11:58

Hello Dirk, Don and Melissa,

In Mahara 1.9 you will have the possibility to do just that for institutions. :-) That's why I wanted to replace "Site pages" with "General pages" because "Site pages" does not make sense to me in that context as it clashes with "Institution" as they are not really site pages anymore, but calling them institution pages clashes too much with institution pages that you can make copyable to other users. The same way that "Edit site pages" kinda clashes with the site pages you can create.

At the moment we are not looking for making any changes to how these pages (logged-out home, dashboard, terms and conditions, about us) work for 1.9 as there's been the feature freeze already. We are just trying to look for a better name that does not lend to confusion as much as site or institution pages. Hence, I suggested "General pages" and Aaron made some other suggestions that you can read on the bug report. I am not for using anything with "notices", "messages" because that is too confusing with notifications. Keeping "pages" is not ideal, but in a sense they are still pages even though you can't edit them like you can portfolio pages.

I also wanted to get rid of the "Edit" in the menu title because it is inconsistent with the rest of the menu items. Hence, my first vote is for "General pages".

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

09 March 2014, 13:05

Since the act is actually "configuring" a page instead of creating a page -- these pages cannot be added or deleted -- I think that they should fall under the general category of "configuration".  The admin page, already has a main menu called

Configure site -> site options

As for Institution, maybe when you click on edit, there are four buttons added to this screen that correspond with "edit login", "edit login" , etc.  with the option "use site login page".

In my mind, that makes the most sense.  A person creates a site, the first thing they do is configure it.  These pages are just one step in the configuration process.  The same with an institution.  A admin creates an institution, and then they configure it.

This setup would also fit in with the enhancements people were talking about.  A third option could be made that says "Link to <custom login page>" page.  With the default page being "<institution> login page".

Melissa

12 results