Forums | Mahara Community

Mobile Mahara /
Mahara 1.8 and iPads

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

24 February 2014, 20:40

Hi Kristina

Back on this again.

Am I right in thinking Mahara 1.8 does not work at all with iPads or is there some new setting that I've yet to find?

Even if I create a page with a PC, when I try editing on the iPad there is no content at all on the page although display page works as expected.

When you try to add a block it says "Try selecting a block type to add first" - so it is not recognizing that one has been selected.  

With the admin settings to allow page themes we are back to the old bug where it says "Theme changed successfully" when trying to add a block.  I notice that that bug report was expired (1007223) although not fixed.

The "device detection" setting has been removed?

Thanks

Richard

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

02 March 2014, 22:54

Hello Richard,

I'm not able to test this as I don't have an iPad handy, but have to wait until I'm in the office. I'll see if someone else can give it a try. we tested Mahara 1.8 with an iPad and didn't find editing problems. The device detection still exists, but the site admin needs to allow users to set it under Administration -> Configure site -> Site options -> User settings.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

03 March 2014, 12:50

Hi Kristina

I've tried with the device detection disabled but still get the same result.  "Try selecting a block type first" error.

I do notice that the descriptions of the block types are blank and when pressing the "add new block here" button, the selected block in the side menu deselects itself.

Perhaps we will have time to look at this together at the Hui.

Thanks

Richard

03 March 2014, 12:18

Hello Richard,

It works for us. Please see comment #4 on https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1246887

Did you try it on http://demo.mahara.org ?

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

03 March 2014, 13:00

OK

demo.mahara.oirg does look different to my own site and the adding of blocks works.  I see the same issues as Stephane described in the bug report with the placing of the radio buttons off the menu and therefore not visible.

I shall investiage further.  Could be a theme thing.   Also I'm using Chrome and not Safari.

Thanks

Richard 

04 March 2014, 8:11

Hello Richard,

Thanks for investigating further. Yes, if nothing helps, we'll take a look at things in a couple of weeks. Mahara Hui is getting closer. :-) I'm looking forward to seeing you there.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

16 March 2014, 19:24

Hi Kristina

I upgraded my site to the latest 1.8.1 and - editing problem (partially) solved.  I can select any block and add it to the page as expected.  

However, the issue with Page Themes is still there - ie when the admin allows user page themes, editing does not work on the iPad.  When you try to add a block, the page returns "Theme updated successfully" and no block is added.

When the admin disallows user page themes a simple page refresh will enable editing again.

Cheers

Richard

23 March 2014, 16:43

Hello Richard,

I think you and Jono looked at this during the Mahara Hui hackfest. Did you file a bug report / add on to any existing one with what is causing it?

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

23 March 2014, 18:47

Hi Kristina

We did look at it and a bug report was to be filed (or re-opened) by Jono or another Catalyst developer.  A short term fix was proposed but longer term (1.10 probably) Jono is going to try to get a proper drag and drop interface for the iPad up and running.

Thanks for a great conference and hackfest.  Please remind me is there going to be a public place where presentations can be accessed?  Mine is fine to go public.

All the best.

Richard

9 results