Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Email problem

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 January 2014, 13:30

Hi everyone.

I wonder if someone could decipher this error message for me. Mahara won't issue email notifications and is returning this error. As far as I can tell everything is configured. I'm guessing there's a problem with php somewhere but I'm not a developer so....

User notification error was probably caused by your server configuration.

exception 'EmailException' with message 'Couldn't send email to Simon Wooler (admin) with subject The Dog Scientific Friends: New contact us. Error from phpmailer was: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.' in /home/thedogsc/public_html/lib/user.php:660
Stack trace:
#0 /home/thedogsc/public_html/notification/email/lib.php(86): email_user(Object(stdClass), Object(stdClass), 'The Dog Scienti...', 'You have been s...', NULL, NULL)
#1 [internal function]: PluginNotificationEmail::notify_user(Object(stdClass), Object(stdClass))
#2 /home/thedogsc/public_html/lib/mahara.php(1449): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
#3 /home/thedogsc/public_html/lib/activity.php(455): call_static_method('PluginNotificat...', 'notify_user', Object(stdClass), Object(stdClass))
#4 /home/thedogsc/public_html/lib/activity.php(494): ActivityType->notify_user(Object(stdClass))
#5 /home/thedogsc/public_html/lib/activity.php(66): ActivityType->notify_users()
#6 /home/thedogsc/public_html/lib/activity.php(203): handle_activity('5', Object(stdClass), true)
#7 /home/thedogsc/public_html/lib/cron.php(142): activity_process_queue()
#8 {main}

can someone point me in the right direction
thanks
Si
Robert Lyon's profile picture

22 January 2014, 14:37

Hi Si

This error can exist for a variety of reasons.

One of which is - if your SMTP encryption setting is SSL - you might need to install the php_openssl extension.

Another is there could be firewall settings blocking the outbound connection/port

Hope this helps,

Robert

Aaron Wells's profile picture

22 January 2014, 15:11

The important part of that error is this: "Could not connect to SMTP host". Check your Mahara site's mail settings and make sure that it is configured properly: http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.8/administration/config_site.html#index-13

Another thing you could try is setting the "SMTP hosts" field to blank. This will cause Mahara to fall back to using the standard PHP "mail()" command (which basically goes through the web server's "sendmail").

Cheers,

Aaron

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 January 2014, 20:01

Aaron and Robert

Thank you. As always Mahara community helpful and gracious. My problem is resolved. I double checked the mail settings for smtp and all seemed correct so, since the line of the error that Aaron pointed at was the one staring at me too, I took Aaron's advice and blanked out the host field. It worked.

I'll go back in time and see if I can find my error/missing config at a later date to satisfy curiousity but working is what I need and working is what I have.

Thanks again

Si

4 results