Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
iframe issues with YouTube

Don Presant's profile picture

10 January 2014, 12:16

Is anyone else noticing the following:

• allowfullframe not working (no control appears)
  • embedded playlists only show the first video (just started happening today)

External Media block also does neither

Embedly seems to allowfullframe, but doesn't show the playlist.

Could this be something Google is doing?.

Ack! I'm a bit frustrated, because I'd moved entirely over to using iframes, for the flexibility they provide.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

12 January 2014, 17:58

The playlist works for me:  Try this test ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MJA1QRND3aw?list=PL426831BC08A165DC" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I used an external media block, and I am using the most up to date verson of Mahara.

Here is a comparison for one that is not a play list:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nIsCs9_-LP8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It looks like you need the "list=..." variable. But when I said "share" "embed", YouTube provided that info already without doing anything special.

Melissa

Don Presant's profile picture

14 January 2014, 1:37

Thanks Melissa, now playlist works, including the old embeds. Not sure what changed; I didn't change anything.

The missing allowfullscreen icon seems to be limited to Mozilla, ie just Firefox. Not sure how to handle that, other than to switch my own browser - is there a setting that can be made on the server to get FF to behave better, I wonder?

See this iframe listing from Mozilla Developer Network:

allowfullscreen
This attribute can be set to true if the frame is allowed to be placed into full screen mode by calling its element.mozRequestFullScreen() method. If this isn't set, the element can't be placed into full screen mode.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 January 2014, 14:34

Hello Don,

When I use the standard YouTube iframe embed code, it has the allowfullscreen attribute included and I can display the video in fullscreen within Firefox.

E.g.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jRJ3t9ZuyYU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers

Kristina

22 September 2015, 4:54

Hi Christina,

I am tryin to use this code in Chrome

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="link" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

However fullscreen does not work. I can see the button but it does not respond.

Any tips?

Thanks

22 September 2015, 22:16

Hello Giacomo,

What sort of site are you trying to connect to? You didn't provide a link.

Cheers

Kristina

22 September 2015, 23:09

Hi Kristina,

it's a youtube video. I had to take off the link because the forum would not let me post a link.

Thanks

Giacomo

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 September 2015, 23:33

Hi Kristina

I get the same with YouTube videos on the 6senses.nz site

Regards

David 

23 September 2015, 16:34

Hello David and Giacomo,

Mhh. YouTube does indeed not go into fullscreen mode. I get a link to a YouTube help page and it seems that we block / don't allow fullscreen mode.

The original wishlist item at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/675938 did mention that fullscreen mode didn't work in the external media block.

I tested fullscreen mode earlier in the year when I reviewed the wishlist item and it worked, but not anymore. There might have been an update from YouTube. Thus, I reopened the wishlist item.

Cheers

Kristina

9 results