Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
error upgrading 1.8 to 1.8.1

Aaron Wells's profile picture

14 January 2014, 19:42

Hi Jacqui,

Well, another thing you could try is just running the ALTER TABLE query manually. That will probably give you a more specific error message about what the problem is.

ALTER TABLE `group` ADD CONSTRAINT grou_gro_fk FOREIGN KEY (grouptype) REFERENCES grouptype (name);

Cheers,

Aaron

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

21 January 2014, 12:33

Hi Aaron,

I tried running the query manually as you suggested and got the following error:

Error Code: 1005. Can't create table 'eportfolio.#sql-904_114' (errno: 150)

is this a problem with a primary key?

Thanks,

Jacqui

Robert Lyon's profile picture

22 January 2014, 11:08

Hi Jacqui,

It does sound like a problem with a primary key. I am assuming that you are using a Mysql database.

I've tried to replicate your problem but cannot.

I suggest working through the list here

http://stackoverflow.com/a/9018753/2453407

to see what we can eliminate as possible causes of this problem.

Cheers

Robert

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

28 January 2014, 15:47

Thanks Robert,

I got one of our DBA's to have a look at this, and apparently our grouptype table was originally “MyISAM”, both tables needed to be of engine type “InnoDB”.

By changing the engine type the grou_gro_fk foreign key has now been created on the group table.

A question from our DBA is - do the following tables also need to be type “InnoDB”:

• artefact_access_role
  • artefact_access_usr
  • grouptype_roles
  • view_autocreate_grouptype

Kind Regards,

Jacqui.

Robert Lyon's profile picture

29 January 2014, 17:02

Hi Jacqui,

Yes, all the db tables will need to be of the engine type 'InnoDB' as InnoDB allows for foreign keys and relationship contraints.

Cheers

Robert

steve P's profile picture

23 January 2014, 17:05

Hi Aaron

I installed a fresh version of 1.8.0 on MAMP (MySQL 5.5.29) and got the same error (slightly different syntax) when running the ALTER TABLE as Jacqui stated.

Any ideas?

Aaron Wells's profile picture

27 January 2014, 11:48

Hi Steve,

Actually that's a different error. Jacqui got an errno 150, and you've got an errno 121. Google tells me that's an error you get in MySQL when trying to create a key that's a duplicate of an existing key, and that makes sense in this scenario. If you did a clean install of 1.8.0, you'll already have the grou_gro_fk foreign key, from installation time. You should only be missing it if you originally installed Mahara as version 1.0.

Cheers,

Aaron

28 January 2014, 12:16

Thanks Aaron, that's a relief! 

We'll keep working on it here, and post back any resolution we find...

Cheers,

Steve.

30 January 2014, 10:48

Hi Aaron

Thanks again for your help, and a big thanks to Robert Lyon for pointing us in the right direction.

I don't know how we ended up with different table types in our database, but would it be useful to incorporate some checking in upgrade scripts for this sort of thing?

19 results