Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Themes 101 and move to v1.8

Gideon Williams's profile picture

14 December 2013, 4:34

I've put this in pedagogy because its probably such a stupid question!

Firstly. Is v1.8 good to go for a large scale institution (1000+ users)

Secondly. vI re1.8 talks about skins bu tnot much about themes. Is there still the option to choosen different themes like you can do in v1.7? I really like some of the new themes particularly Julian Ridden's essential theme. Is it possible to download this and have it as an option that students can select with the eight or so other ones? We currently use the Primary Theme

Thirdly. Has anyone got Dirk's and Gordon' Jungle and Ambrosia theme working for v1.8 yet?

Please accept my apologies if I have not read the manual carefully enough and the answers are staring me in the face..

Gid

Gregor Anželj's profile picture

15 December 2013, 3:53

Themes are still available and change the look of entire site.

Skins on the other hand were desinged to help users change only the look of a particular page/view.

HTH, G

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

02 January 2014, 6:30

Hi Gideon,

just a followup on your question about the Ambrosia and Jungle themes. I just put them on a 1.8 and they work fine. Looks like Ambrosia and Jungle1 need small tweaks. If you like, check them out on portfoliocommunities.

Cheers

02 January 2014, 11:32

Thanks very much Dirk
Gordon McLeod's profile picture

06 January 2014, 21:48

Hi Gideon,

I'm hoping to have a test install of Mahara 1.8 up and running this week - as soon as I get a chance I'll take a look at Ambrosia and see what needs tweaked.

Dirk - happy to take on board any comments as I haven't played around with theme requirements in 1.8 yet.

Thanks, Gordon.

07 January 2014, 2:20

Many thanks Gordon

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

08 January 2014, 8:39

Hi Gordon,

when stretched, there is white background behind mainmiddlebox.
To get rid of it, in style.css, I added background-color: #F1B945; on line 337 so it looks like below. Otherwise it looks fine to me.

Cheers

#mainmiddlewrap
{
    width: 96%;
    min-width: 80%;
    margin:0;
    padding: 0;
    margin-left:auto;
    margin-right:auto;
    background-color: #F1B945;
}

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

09 January 2014, 0:25

Hi Dirk,

Much appreciated - should have a new version up on Github next week once I've had a chance to try it out.

Thanks, Gordon.

09 January 2014, 6:22

Christmas spirit?

Was wondering if anyone might let me see their Mahara v1.8 in action so that I could have a play before we make the changes to our v1.7?

I am particularly keen to see how this idea of themes now works in v1.8 and I dont think that I can experience this on the mahara.org site (well I tried but could nto see how it worked?)

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 January 2014, 13:48

Hello Gideon,

You can play with the themes and skins on http://demo.mahara.org as institution admin.

Cheers

Kristina

16 results