Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Re-Login required on every action and failure to write to DB

Jan Combrink's profile picture

12 December 2013, 19:54

Hi all

I have upgraded to 1.8.  Run on Redhat Linux server with MySQL on a shared server - no root access.

I login, and after that on every screen change I must login again.  Finally, when I try to Save anything, I get the following message:

Mahara: Site unavailable

Something in the way you're interacting with Mahara is causing an error.
Details if any, follow:

Invalid session key

I have checked my wwwroot ($cfg->wwwroot = 'http://www.360growth.co.za/360eportfolio/') and dataroot ($cfg->dataroot = '/home/growthco/360portfoliodata';) settings and all seem to be correct.  Dataroot is set to 777, ie writable.

Any other ideas.

13 December 2013, 0:55

Hello,

A quick search on Google with keyworkds "mahara login each page" gives me results including this on the Mahara's wiki : https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/System_Administrator%27s_Guide/Installing_Mahara/Troubleshooting#Q:_Every_page_I_go_to.2C_Mahara_wants_me_to_log_in_again.21

Does it help?

-dajan

Jan Combrink's profile picture

13 December 2013, 2:52

Hi

Thanks.  I found that earlier and it did give me some direction, especially: "Dataroot is an absolute path relative to the filesystem."

I had to redo the whole dataroot reference which i messed-up.  Thank you for the reply though.

13 December 2013, 4:48

Happy that you have found the origin of the problem.

Happy mahara-ing.

-dajan

Aaron Wells's profile picture

13 December 2013, 11:29

Hi Jancom,

The problem you're describing sounds like Mahara is unable to store session data. We store it under your dataroot directory, which is why the link that Dajan sent you to tells you to make sure your dataroot path is correct.

If you have verified that your dataroot path is an absolute path to a real directory, and you're still having this problem, what you need to do next is to check the permissions on your dataroot directory. Make sure that the user the web server runs as, has permission to write to the dataroot. In Ubuntu giving ownership to the "www-data" user achieves this, but I think the setup is probably different in Redhat.

If the permissions are correct, you'll see a bunch of directories under your dataroot, automatically created by Mahara (including a "sessions" directory where session data gets stored). If the permissions are wrong, the directory will be empty. Mahara will attempt to create these directories on each page load if they're missing.

Cheers,

Aaron

5 results