Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahara self registration confirmation mail

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

09 October 2013, 22:29

Hi all,

i have installed a new Mahara (v. 1.7.2) instance and there is a problem with the self registration process.

With some mail adresses it works as expected!

But some mail addresses do not recieve the confirmation mail. ( ..i also looked in the spam directory, no mail..)

I tested this scenario in institutions with admin approval an without..same problem.

Has anyone made experiences in this topic?

THX!!

Greets

christian

Aaron Wells's profile picture

10 October 2013, 11:06

Hi Christian,

I'd suggest looking at your mail server logs to see whether it's actually receiving the emails from Mahara or not.

Another thing you can try (which is kind of hacky but often works) is to switch which email sending method you're using, in the "Email" section of the Site Configuration page. If you're currently using SMTP, blank out the "SMTP Host" field to force Mahara to use local mail sending; and conversely, if you're currently using local mail sending, try specifying an SMTP host instead. Quite often when one method is not working, the other method will.

Cheers,

Aaron

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 October 2013, 19:49

Hi Aaron,

thanks for your reply!

I changed the Email setting in the config.php to use the localhost as smtphost, after that i got useful informtion in the mail log: 

...host mx00.gmx.net[213.165.67.114] refused to talk to me: 554-gmx.net (mxgmx011) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available 554-No SMTP service 554 invalid DNS PTR resource record...

It seems that some email provider check the the PTR Record from the sender. Our Mahara Project is using a subdomain, where obviously no PTR Record is set! That would explain, why some email-addresses worked where others got fail!

I will contact the DNS-Admin and post the result, if that solve the prolem!

Thanks and greets,

Christian

3 results