Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Displayer for Open Badges

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

18 August 2013, 18:27

Hello Eric,

Thank you very much for sharing your plugin. It works fine in my local 1.7 install. This is fantastic functionality because until now we did not have the possibility to display Open Badges easily in Mahara. There is a workaround with an iframe but that doesn't verify your email address.

I'll add the info about using the plugin to display open badges to the manual at http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.7/tips/openbadges.html (it'll be updated in about 13 hours).

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

25 September 2013, 22:56

Hello Eric,

thanks alot for your Plugin it really works fine and Iam testing it at the moment. I made some Testbadges and these Badges have a very long Description. When you klick in the Displayer on a Badge, the lightbox opens normally to show the Details of the Badge, but the Description Text has no Return :

I issued the badges with Wordpress.

Cheers,

P.S.

19 November 2013, 15:50

Hello Eric,

We've reviewed the plugin and implemented it successfully in one of our Mahara 1.8 testing sites, and thus would also like to share the updates with everyone. I had contacted Mozilla and we can use the OpenBadges logo which I think is great because the plugin is for OpenBadges and not any other badges.

Do you have a github account where we could create pull request?

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

28 November 2013, 2:58

Hi Kristina,

Sorry I didn't notice your message in my over loaded inbox! We don't have yet a github account, but we will create it in a near future probably around Xmas time. We will share our issuer plugin in the same place when it will be ready.

Cheers

Eric

28 November 2013, 16:41

Hello Eric,

Fantastic. Thank you for this information. I'll keep an eye out for the github account then, and we'll add our changes for Mahara 1.8 to it for you to choose to accept or not. There shouldn't be much change, but we created a block icon to match the 1.8 style. It's based on the official Open Badges logo.

Cheers

Kristina

Gideon Williams's profile picture

07 December 2013, 6:21

Wonder if anyone might be able to cast some light on the problem? We have installed the plugin for our mahara v1.7.2 but for some reason it is not working.

When I go to add in the block I am told that there is “No backpack found” and to add my backpack email address to my profile. This has already been done and is the same one.

I have added in a different account and email address and still no joy/

See explanation document - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7336564/Backpack%20Plugin%20Issues.docx

Might anyone know what could be wrong here?

Sorry and thanks

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

10 December 2013, 1:38

Hi,

Just wondering if there is a timeframe for backpack functionality reaching Mahara - and if not what's needed so that this can move forward?

Having just read the 1.8 user manual instructions, the current process is a bit technical for many users (if working) as they've got to create a Persona account, send the badge to the Mozilla backpack then import it from there into Mahara as an iFrame (unless I've lost track completely).

Thanks, Gordon.

Account deleted

13 December 2013, 3:44

Hi Gordon,

I agree with you that for the moment receiving a badge is not very user friendly because too many steps are needed! However I  don't think that integrating a backpack with Mahara will change anything,  at least not before that a backpack confederation system is defined and implemented (risk of framentation of badges in several backpacks). Mozilla has some ideas about how to do that, but nothing has been started yet. We are planning to work on this question next spring, but I would not expect results too soon.

Anyway I think that the process of receiving a badge can be improved for example with the "backpack connect" method:

https://github.com/mozilla/openbadges/wiki/Backpack-Connect:-Issuer-Documentation

So the first time is always as tricky, but after that the connect -solution should make receiving smoother.

What can be expected from us is an Open badge issuer plugin, which should be released around April 2014.

We are now working on a displayer for Facebook. It has nothing to do with Mahara, but the Open Badge -concept will not gain popularity, if earners can't display their badges in popular services. So we try to help with this question.

Cheers

Eric

Account deleted

11 December 2013, 20:46

Hello,

It seems that email addresses in Backpack are case-sensitive. You can check here if an address can be used with the displayer:

https://backpack.openbadges.org/displayer/convert/email

Gideon Williams's profile picture

14 December 2013, 2:01

Thanks for this link Antti.

Apparently there was a problem with the install from our support company. Something to do with SSL root certificates on Linux etc etc

Now works perfectly..