Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Enable LDAP functionality

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 June 2013, 4:21

Greetings,

I'm trying to configure and test out various ldap methods to see what works, best but I seem to be stuck on even getting the default working. 

I'm on mahara 1.7.1 installed via the Ubuntu 12.04 packages.  I've installed php5-ldap and appears to be setup properly via phpinfo()

ldap

LDAP Support enabled
RCS Version $Id: ldap.c 321634 2012-01-01 13:15:04Z felipe $
Total Links 0/unlimited
API Version 3001
Vendor Name OpenLDAP
Vendor Version 20428
SASL Support Enabled

In the Mahara Plugin configuraitons I see the options for LDAP but no configuraiton. Ironically I do have SAML configuration abilities. 

I've read this blog post:

https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=1385

I'd like to also look at some of the extra plugins:

https://github.com/patrickpollet/mahara_ldap_sync/wiki

But before i get to those was hoping to test out the basics. 

Is there some dependancy that I may be missing? Or other tricks to enabling/configuraing LDAP in a default 1.7.1 install? 

Aaron Wells's profile picture

20 June 2013, 11:57

Hi Judd,

When you mention "Mahara Plugin configurations", do you mean the admin/extensions/plugins.php page? Because that's actually not where you configure LDAP authentication from. Smile

LDAP authentication is configured by setting up an "authentication instance" for one of your site's institutions. See:

If you're not doing a multi-tenanted installation (and really, most people aren't), then you might just want to add the LDAP instance to the "No Institution" institution.

Cheers,
Aaron

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

25 June 2013, 1:21

Thanks Aaron. That was exactly the problem I was looking for. Since I saw SAMAL configuration options, I assumed that there woudl also be LDAP configuration options there if enabled properly. Once going into the institution page, I found the LDAP settings. 

Thanks,

Taylor

3 results