Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahara / Problems with my Hosting / Trigger install issue

Aaron Wells's profile picture

17 June 2013, 11:40

We hear from people on the Mahara forums all the time who are running Mahara in shared hosting environments, so hopefully one of them can recommend a good host for you. :)

One thing I'd suggest when you're shopping around for a new host, try to find one that supports Postgres. Because MySQL's featureset isn't as complete as Postgres, there are some bits of back-end Mahara functionality that are disabled when you're using MySQL.

And in my experience, a hosting provider that supports Postgres is likely to provide better tech support in general. ;)

Cheers,
Aaron

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 June 2013, 0:47

Hi Aaron :)

Yes , is complex becouse do a "recomendation" is very easy , but if exist any problem in future this can generate personal/technisian problems ( and i assume partial risc)

I looked all partnets in mahara site , and yes , all can allow mahara site but is for "big" partners (newzland do a very good hosting for the schools , and i discover mahara becouse i see a little kindergarten portfolio using mahara)  and i have another domain that i needed put in the hosting (with wordpress).

I dont have any problem for pay 2€ for month if the tech support are good , the hosting recomended for Alain , have 2 good reasons , provaly are yes the best in sw (i readed more opinions) , and is hosted in EU ( i dont like have legals problems and go to TheUSA , the is my first website that can be host any personal data ).

"But" dont have postgree ;)  , i installed mahara in my personal computer (i'm not a computer programmer )  and yes , there are several differences ..

Thanks for reply the post again again :)

PD: The Spanish Forum there is  quiet ....

24 June 2013, 22:45

Maybe I should start participating in the Spanish language Mahara forum. I had about 5 years of Spanish classes in school, but I've gotten quite rusty since then. Still, I could probably make myself understood in writing... as long as I don't need to say anything in past tense. ;)

24 June 2013, 23:26

I think you're right, the Mahara partners are mostly focused on providing hosting and support services for larger institutions. Smaller institutions like yours, probably either need to pool together into a single multi-tenanted Mahara instance (like New Zealand's myportfolio.ac.nz), or, if you've got enough technical skills, self-host on an inexpensive consumer web hosting service.

It sounds like you've found a few decent web hosting services. I'll go out on a limb and suggest the shared hosting provider I've been using for my personal sites for the past few years: www.hostgator.com . I haven't actually run a Mahara instance off my hostgator account yet, but I did run Moodle on it a while back. And they meet all of the Mahara PHP library requirements: https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/System_Administrator%27s_Guide/Requirements#PHP compare with http://support.hostgator.com/articles/hosting-guide/hardware-software/php-modules

The downsides: They're located in the US... but they are apparently registered with a "Safe Harbor" program by the Swiss government to certify that they conform to Swiss privacy laws: http://support.hostgator.com/articles/pre-sales-questions/safe-harbor-certification

And, they don't support Postgresql. But I guess you can't win them all. Wink

14 results