Forums | Mahara Translation

Translations /
Improvement for manual translation: version changes

Ralf Hilgenstock's profile picture

28 April 2013, 21:24

Hello Kristina,

the |new in Mahara.1x| element in manual marks very well in the documentation where changes have been added to Mahara latests version.

In translation process the same paragraph has to be translated twice.  We translate in in the version where it is placed for the first time and again with the next version where only the |new in Mahara 1.x|  has to be removed.  Launchpad doesn't show the translation from the earlier version because the content changed. 

It would be very helpfull if you can implement a feature that the |new in Mahara 1.x| information is removed automaticay while creating the basic version for a new version. I think it would reduce the translation work a little (50-80 paragraphs all six months). 

My workaround for the moment: I'm working with two browser windows. One with the new, one with the last  version. If I remember that  I've translated the paragraph before I search in the elder one, copy and paste the old text between the windows. But sometimes its not time reducing. 

ralf

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

30 April 2013, 10:03

Hello Ralf,

Sorry, I don't quite understand. :-( The |new in Mahara 1.x| is removed in the new version. I run a search and replace command. But that of course changes the lang string. there is nothing I can do about that.

A possible mitigation would be to have the "new in Mahara 1.x" on it's separate line. However, then we lose the contextuality and cannot include the icon directly on the functionality where the change has been made / new functionality has been added, but it would only show up for an entire paragraph or an entire section. Currently, I use the icon also in lists and in headings.

For headings or standalone paragraphs I can put the icon on it's separate line which would reduce the number of paragraphs to retranslate and would only leave those where there are lists and the icon appears for an individual item, for example: http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.7/administration/config_site.html#account-settings

Could we make that compromise?

Cheers

Kristina

2 results