Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Users replying to forum posts by email

MarionMacDonald's profile picture

19 February 2013, 23:41

Hi

I've been noticing that a few users lately have been replying to notifications about forum posts thinking they are replying to the post itself.  The email comes to me, as Mahara admin.  I beleive this is mostly coming from users who are using mobiles.

Apart from constantly telling people that they are not responding to the forum post, I wondered how others have dealt with this?

Regards

Marion

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 February 2013, 10:01

Hi Marion:

I have the same issue and apart from doing the same you do (telling perople to reply to the forum via Web) I currently can't find another option. And in my case those messages are not comming only from users with mobiles, but from regular PC users, since most of them have been acoustumed to mailinglist.

There is a feature request for a "user can participate in a forum through their email client as well as on the Mahara site itself (similar to Google or Yahoo Groups)". If you think that feature would be useful, please support it here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/775342

You can also click on the "This bug affects me" to kindly call the attention of the developers Wink .

Regards, Roberto.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 February 2013, 10:43

Hi Marion and Roberto,

This is something we're well aware of, but we haven't had funding to prioritise it yet :(

Thanks,
Melissa.

20 February 2013, 22:08

Hi Melissa

Thanks for your reply.  Hopefully some day ...

Marion

Eric Simard's profile picture

20 January 2016, 9:30

Any updates on that?

Our Mahara and moodle are not in production yet, but this will definitly cause issues.

Honestly my first reflex was to reply to the email. Maybe a better way is to send a notification stating that a new post is available to view, with a link and not put the content of the post in the email. Is that a possibility?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 January 2016, 16:20

Hello Eric,

We haven't been able to tackle that yet. What had been done (since the initial report I believe) is to add the info "Please do not reply to this message." at the bottom of a forum notification.

If you'd like to sponsor the development work for this feature, please let me know. We'd be happy to move it up in the priority and providing funding does that quite nicely. ;-)

Cheers

Kristina

20 February 2013, 22:08

Thanks Roberto, I've followed your suggestion :)

Marion

A post by Account deleted was deleted

8 results