Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
How to manage users after SSO

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

15 October 2012, 1:06

Hi All,

We are using MNet for SSO from Moodle to Mahara, I need to make sure if there is any way to isolate different class.

In other words, based on the School policy, students in different grades should not be able to find each other in Mahara.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Mary Cooch's profile picture

15 October 2012, 1:09

Hi there. I gave you an answer in your other post - I don't think you can isolate users currently - here is the latest information https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=3960

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

22 October 2012, 2:12

Hello Siamak,

Whenever you have an account on a Moodle that is connected to a Mahara, you can roam to it.

However, I believe you could do some trickery. Normally, all authenticated Moodle users will be allowed to roam to Mahara. Why not just give that capability to a new role, e.g. Authenticated Mahara user, and give that to all those users who shall have access to Mahara? Then only they should be able to see the network server for Mahara and connect to it. I haven't field tested it yet, but since roaming to another site is based on a Moodle capability, I would think this is possible with another role then.

Cheers

Kristina

22 October 2012, 5:25

Hello Siamak,

Kritistina has right you can create a new role in Moodle and give it the property to access MoodleNetwork MNET. Krtisitina is not quite right about the fact that all connected users have access to Mahara by default. The MNET is not activated by default. So you have to follow the procedure described in the Mahoodle manual or presentation (http://fr.slideshare.net/iarenaza/mahoodle-english).

About giving specific Moodle users access MNET has two drawbacks:

1. Having a special role such as "ePortfolio access" works fine if you have only one MNET access to manage. But if you have different Moodle servers or different Mahara accessible from your Moodle it means that only users with the role will see ALL the server. There is no present way to give user access to a specific server.
  2. It won't solve your problem to separate users of different classes in different Mahara or Mahara's institutions. You could do that by hand on Mahara's side putting users into groups or into different institutions.

In my institution we have created a special role for accessing the portfolio and we have modified Moodle 1.9 php code to show specific servers to specific users.

Regards,

-dajan

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

22 October 2012, 14:20

Hi dajan,

Thanks for the additional info. I had meant that you'd first need to allow roaming to another site, but thought that was obvious as described in the Mahoodle guide. Wink

Do I understand you correctly that you have a Mahara set up so that users from one Moodle can be put into different institutions in that Mahara instance?

Cheers

Kristina

22 October 2012, 15:36

Hello Kristina,

No. I have a customized Moodle that shows my students only the MNET services they should see and access. In fact, the MoodleServer Block shows all the servers or none. With our code editings, we can select which MNET service(s) to display regarding to user that just logged in.

Because we have different instances of Mahara running, we show the Mahara which is spectifc to a group of users.

Cheers,

-dajan

A post by Account deleted was deleted

7 results