Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Add email addresses?

sean mcclelland's profile picture

21 September 2012, 17:26

Hello. I am having trouble with the "Add email address" function here: Content > Profile > Contact information.

Problem #1 - Currently, only system admins have this option. I believe users had this option in the past, so maybe something changed when we upgraded to v1.5? Can this be enabled or disabled somehow? I didn't see a realted option in system settings.

Problem #2 - I am a system admin, and have tried adding email address (Gmail) to my profile, but the notification/confirmation never goes through. I checked my Spam folders, but nothing from the Portfolio is there. Another system admin tried this, and it did work for them.

I have a LOT of users who wish to use this feature, because they want the Portfolio notifications to go somewhere other than their university email account.

Thank you!

21 September 2012, 18:15

I finally did receive the confirmation/notification! Though it took a long time, almost 30 mins. For other admins, it only took 30 seconds. It seems to work sometimes, but not others.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

23 September 2012, 21:51

Tiffany jewelry outlet online cheap-Save up to 85% on many items at tiffany and co outlet.You can get best quality and price of tiffany jewelry on tiffany & co outlet. Come to buy tiffany outlet to take them home.

24 September 2012, 17:19

Just want to give this topic a "bump!"

I'm still experiencing problem #1 - only system admins have the ability to add an email address.

Problem #2 seems to have resovled itself, just with a long delay.

I would like add a fundamental question to all of this.... even if a user adds, and then selects that new address as the primary address... should the new notifications get sent to the new email address? (Because this didn't seem to work for me when I tested on my profile, emails still went to the original .edu email address.)

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

25 September 2012, 12:41

Hi Sean,

just throwing out some ideas. Have you looked at /admin/users/institutions.php and see what happens when you play woth the settings 'Locked Fields-> email address and email dissabled'?

As for the inconsistent sending of emails, have a look if the DNS resolvers properly for your server and if it has a proper domain name assigned. You may also want to look at using sentmail as that has fixed issues for me before. Lastly, you could look at /admin/site/options.php and use a different smtp server to se if that helps. You could tail the error log while the system is trying to send an email also.

Notifications and emails are ususally sending reliably in mahara so I don't think it's anyting in mahara itself, more likely with your email system, especially of its one provided by an institution.
HTH

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

02 October 2012, 22:52

Hi Sean,

And another thought: What authentication method are your users using?

Cheers

Kristina

03 October 2012, 13:16

Hello Kristina,

We're using Shibboleth via the saml plugin.

I have yet to meet with our developer to try Dirk's suggestion, but will do that soon.

And so... if everything is working as it should, will all notifications generated by Mahara go to a user's newly added email address (and not the default, institutional .edu address)?

Thank you.

09 October 2012, 12:40

Trying to give one of my questions a bump, it's a hot-topic on campus...

Q: If a user adds an email address to their profile, should all new notifications go to the newly added address?

(In my experience, the answer to that question is no, emails still go to the original address.)

Thank you.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

22 October 2012, 2:44

Hello Sean,

The new email address will not be chosen automatically, unless it is made the primary email address. I don't know if the address overwrites the existing primary address or if it is just added as secondary one. If you have something like "We update user information upon login", name and email address should be updated and thus (fingers crossed) the new address chosen. But that's something to try out as that might depend on the authentication plugin and how it updates existing information.

If the primary email address is not updated with the new one, you could enter it via the "Add users by CSV" screen and update your users' accounts with the new email address. See http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.5/site_admin/users.html#add-and-new15-update-users-by-csv (Mahara 1.5+).

Cheers

Kristina

9 results