Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Authentication methods and user upload

A post by Account deleted was deleted

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

03 October 2012, 5:55

Again, maybe I misunderstand something. When I select edit of the institution and then edit of the CAS authentication plugin I can select CAS server settings and LDAP settings. In the LDAP settings I can uncheck 'We auto-create users.' Doesn't that mean that even though you are authenticated, maybe you don't have an account since they are not auto-created? And that accounts have to be created by e.g. a .csv file?

Anyway, this is how we did it and it worked with one of my colleagues. Also, it worked fine to omit info in the password field of the .csv file. We turned off the 'send email' to not confuse new users with the login, since they now will use a link and not the 'login' button. Since I'm on paternity leave I'm a bit off from the business, but I haven't heard anything problematic about the 100 or so new students and their accounts and CAS login. At least not yet...

Regards,

Odd

Account deleted

03 October 2012, 6:42

Oups my fault.

I just forgot that the LDAP auth plugin has this option to turn off user's autocreation. 

Thus the CAS auth plugin has it too ;-) 

Glad it worked in your place.  Could you confirm that it account is not created in Mahara, user see 'a friendly message' stating that he is not allowed to get into your Mahara and not an endless loop between Mahara and CAS login screen ? 

Never used it here since our Mahara instances are synched with LDAP directory every nigth, thus ALL our users able to authenticate to CAS may use Mahara... see https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=4303

Sorry for messing this thread with wrong informations ... 

Cheers

Account deleted

04 October 2012, 2:32

I asked the person at the department who is the institution manager and she says that sofar it seems to be no problem - i.e. no students have complained.

It is difficult for us to confirm that no users are created automatically, since we don't have dummy or test users (as far as I know) to test with.

As for the friendly message, again it is hard for us to test without dummy users. We have to check this out. Another problem (in this case) for us is that the Mahara installation is hosted by our university's IT department and they are not overly keen to help with anything outside the contract (of course). When I come back from paternity leave I can hopefully check this out.

ALL users in our case would be all 40 000 students and all 6000 employees, that must not happen!

Regards,

Odd

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

22 October 2012, 3:25

Hello Odd,

You could delete an existing Mahara account that authenticates with the external method (as long as it hasn't been used yet to upload content, create portfolios etc.) and then try to log in with auto-creation turned off. If the account is created again, you know that auto-creation is still on, if it is not, you know that only those get in for whom you created accounts. Smile

Enjoy your paternity leave.

Cheers

Kristina

17 results