Support /
Moving Mahara site to new server

A post by Account deleted was deleted

A post by Account deleted was deleted

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

06 December 2012, 17:58

Hi All

I have got a long way down the migration route and am most of the way there.  (I did the sed thing on the database dump).  The current problem is with the SSO from Moodle to Mahara (we don't allow logon directly to Mahara itself).

I added a second xmlrpc authentication plugin as the first one gave an error message when I tried to edit it: "A nonrecoverable error occurred. This probably means you have encountered a bug in the system".

So users can SSO from Moodle to Mahara but a new account is created instead of a link to their old account.  I tried changing the authinstanceid field in the user table to match the new xmlrpc instance instead of the old one but no joy, a new account is still created (with 1 appended to the username).

Any help appreciated.

Mahara 1.6.2 on mysql/ubuntu, Moodle 2.3.3+, IIS 2008 Server sql.  We changed Moodle to a new server at the same time.

Would it help if I manually edited the original xmlrpc record to have the details associated with the new one and then removed the new one?  Or would it stuff things further?

Thanks

Richard Jones

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

09 December 2012, 19:44

Hello Richard,

The first MNet auth instance that you had might have given you the error because Moodle still only knew your old certificate. Or had you updated that?

If your first instance still exists, it is logical that a second account is created because Mahara doesn't know that it is the same Moodle. Thus, either you update the certificate on your first auth instance or you move your users to the new one. You should only have to change the auth instance in order to do so. This is done under "User search" in the administration. See http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.6/administration/users.html#user-bulk-actions . Since your existing users already have their Moodle ID as remote username, you don't have to change that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

09 December 2012, 22:53

Thanks Kristina

I'm actually now in NZ for 5 weeks but I will give that a god when I get off 3G and back to an Internet connection again.

Cheers Richard

10 December 2012, 7:26

Hello Richard,

Please let me know if you happen to be in Wellington during that time. Would love to catch up.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

25 February 2014, 16:34

Hi. I hope this thread is still active.

I just moved an 1.8.0 installation with mysql to a new server, using mysqldump and rsync.

Everything works well except for feedback on personal pages.

As I post a comment, the pages remains the same except for the "Loading" notice.

On groups pages it works well.

I upgraded to 1.8.1 and the problem is just the same.

Any clue?

Adolfo

Account deleted

25 February 2014, 17:22

I forgot to mention that if I install a "virgin" mahara, it works well. So no issues with infrastructure, apparently.

Account deleted

01 March 2014, 6:54

Fixed....

All the trouble was caused by changing the mysql user account to access the db.
It happens that once mahara in installed, it generates hardwired code associated with a trigger, which includes the original mysql user name. So in case you change the mysql user account (either due to migration or site cloning...) you should mind about that detail, probably hand editing the db dump where you see something like 'trigger'.

02 March 2014, 22:35

Hello Adolfo,

Great that you could solve the problem yourself, and thank you for posting the answer as well.

Cheers

Kristina